Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've installed the rear windshield with new rubber and then reinstalled the anodized moldings back around the rear window with new clips. Everything looks great except the ridiculous gap in the bottom left (driver's side) corner between the molding and the body. I remember when I tore the car apart that corner having a lot of caulking or whatever in it but didn't think anything of it. Now that the car has been painted and body work is done, it's too little too late for any major body shop remedies to this issue. A few people I've consulted have told me that this was a norm and a lot of cars were like this factory and "they were never right." This makes me feel a little better but what can I do about that gap? It will obviously be the first spot to collect water from washing and possibly rust. Also it's an eye sore as it's about 1/8inch gap between the painted body and the molding. What should I fill it with and how can I avoid the eye sore being a black filler or any color as the car is grabber blue and the molding is shiny. I thought clear silicone caulking but I was told it's acidic and is a no go. Thanks again for the help as I've heavily and successfully relied on your opinions.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have had similar issues with gaps and what I use is, 3M Bedding & Glazing compound Black part#08509.
This can also be used to install door water-shields.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Here is my take on this issue. Because these moldings are often practically glued in place when one goes to remove them, they often get bent (can be subtle and hard or impossible to see) in the process of removing them. When you go to put them back, this sort of issue presents itself. Did these moldings fit the car well originally? If yes and you are using the same ones, this could likely be your problem. Regardless, the solution (in my mind) is the offending molding or moldings need to be subtlely bent (without putting dents or kinks in them) to reduce or eliminate the gap you are seeing. I realize that this is a nerve-wracking thing to do/suggest, but it is (in my opinion) where the solution lies.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are the factory moldings. They have no bends or major dings/ imperfections. They really are in good shape for being original but I see what you're saying. I remember the gap before i tore the care apart but I am not the first to disassemble this car so as far as the way factory had it, I'll never know. All the moldings correctly meet and there are no bends so I'm in the dark. I've thought of trying to shift it all over towards the drivers side but that would only result in a gap on the passenger side.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And just out of curiosity...if I were to believe my moldings were defective do they remake those? Or do I buy used ones and hope for the best? (if they don't repop them then i'll likely just keep the ones I have and live with the imperfections)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Don't drive it in the rain, There are many color caulkings at marble and tile supply stores(45-50) you might be able to find something close, or mix some of your touch up paint with clear silicone then apply, dont worry it wont mess up the paint, just fill the gap only.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And just out of curiosity...if I were to believe my moldings were defective do they remake those? Or do I buy used ones and hope for the best? (if they don't repop them then i'll likely just keep the ones I have and live with the imperfections)
No repops.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My lower one was bent at the bottom from someone trying to remove it before...I used my roller (one with the metal wheel) for installing home window screen, placed the chrome strip on a piece of cardboard on the cement floor of the garage and rolled the center of the chrome strip back and fourth until it layed back down again and re-installed...not perfect, but way better than it was.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big bummer on the no repops....Thanks a bunch, I'll remove them carefully and double check everything one more time. Is there a certain piece you start with? Top, bottom, upper left or lower right? Maybe I'm popping them in out of order?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Can you post a picture?

I think a 1/8" gap is probably as good as it gets. As Towcat recommended, some bedding compound can be used to fill this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after removing the moldings I noticed that I forgot a clip so I installed it and then applied 3M super strength weather stripping adhesive between the glass and body. I allowed it to get tacky then started with the 2 bottom pieces and popped them in. It took finesse but I got them to stay flush unlike before where they were too high where the 2 joined. Then I popped on the two side/top pieces and I feel it looks about 90%. There are gaps at the bottom corners but not as bad as before and I filled the voids with the 3M super strength weather adhesive and the moldings are solid stiff now. No movement or uneven spots. I think it looks respectful and knowing they don't repop those moldings assures me that other Cougars will be consistent with mine. Thanks for the advice all and stay persistent as it always prevails in the Mercury Muscle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts