Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off my chrome trim and everything today so i could rip off my old vinyl top and patch up my roof. So as with everything on this car i ran into a problem. Just below the rear window where the seal seats to the metal its all rusted away. Fairly common on most older cars i understand. So, i was wondering if anyone would be willing to cut out that piece along the bottom of the rear window. Or if anybody knows a repair technique or place to get this i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If it was a convertable I would be more than happy to

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
My 70 eliminator had that exact problem
i did locate 1 and had it cut off for me .But alas the eliminator left 2 weeks ago along with a load of parts and 1 was that rear window section :( .Keep looking there out there and i`m sure you`ll find 1 .
thanks
pat

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have one I've cut off a 69/ vinyl top, there is a small amount of rust through on one side near the seam to the quarter panel, it is cut off at the factory seam on the side and the trunl lid seam, has the inner panel which is the rear shelf, but has been cut in front of the window lip inside seam. so it is a retangular chunke which you could choose where to trim for a patch, approx 4"x8"x48" weight is about 7#. It has the holes for the top trim. How about $15 + shipping? :jump3:

·
Registered
588 Posts
While bondo works in most places, I always use lead to repair the corners. I know the metal is properly cleaned because the tinning will not stick otherwise and the lead will not rust. Not an easy technique to learn though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts