Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

After two days straight of HARD rain, the rear window in the Cougar started leaking a little on the corners. Nothing really bad at all. I am going to put some silicon on the two cracks in each corner for now, until I get a new gasket. The question is, does that pretty much mean there has to be rust under that window? And if so, how long do you think I have before I have to replace that gasket (Before the rust got really bad)?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The clock is ticking........ tic...tic.....tic.....tic....

don

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Russsssssssssssssssssstt. not that bad though. my car had it there. errr the 69. gotta pop the window out though to do it right

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
lol... only the 67 came with that rare option he he he

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man Steve, you've got a hatchback window, and soon a natural sunroof ;) That baby must be rare!

·
Registered
588 Posts
No, it doesn't absolutely mean rust. It could be that no gasket sealent was used and water finally seeped through because of the constant rain. But be prepared to repair the window lip when you put in a new seal, which is what it will take to permanently seal the leak. Putting silicone over it will not stop any rust from continuing to eat away so putting in a new seal should go on the TO-DO list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts