Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the package tray at the rear window. Car never had one when i got it. Does it go under the ends of the quarter trim panels or over them? anyone have a picture of it correctly install? Also i am putting 6x9 speakers in the speaker holes but the new speaker is larger than the holes in the speaker area. Should i cut the holes larger to fit the speakers? I am afraid if i do then the screw holes for the speaker will not have much metal left on the inner part when I screw down the speakers and grills? Any suggestions?:uhoh:

·
Registered
391 Posts
It goes under both quarter trim panels and the rear seat. There should be some little clips to hold it on hidden along the top edge where the seat back is.

Sorry, I can't answer your question on the speakers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
well what i did years ago was to mount the speakers to my body frame which fits nicely. i had a package tray which was faded so i covered it in a black heavy duty auto felt which i got at auto upholstery supply place.but first before mounting speakers i drew the speaker hole in the tray and cut it out. then i mounted the speakers in the brackets. then covered the tray with the felt covering speaker holes. so it's a nice clean back. i guess one could cut a piece of luan from home depot which would be nice a ridge tray, no more than an 1/8 of an inch thick.

it's just how i did mine and they've held up must be 15 years now.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I wouldn't cut anything, can you mount the speaker underneath the metal and just the grills on top?

These are rather large 6x9's mounted under the package tray with the grills mounted top side.

i am putting 6x9 speakers in the speaker holes but the new speaker is larger than the holes in the speaker area. Should i cut the holes larger to fit the speakers? I am afraid if i do then the screw holes for the speaker will not have much metal left on the inner part when I screw down the speakers and grills? Any suggestions?:uhoh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used the thinnest pegboard from Home Depot. Covered in a dark blue vinyl(to match my interior) w/1 in foam. Mounted the grills from the top into the
board. Mounted the speakers from the bottom to the metal frame. Infinity 6X9s. Didn't cut the metal in the rear. The pegboard was easy to work with flexible
to bend and work into position.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i also used the i/8 plywood for the underlayment and put 1/8 packing foam on it and used vw type seat vinyl (has the checkerd look of the orig cardboard ) . i also filled all the other openings with 1/8 abs and brought the whole surface up flat with scraps of dynamat---also made a .060 thick bulkhead for behind the rear seat--installed from the trunk side and insulated w/dynamat on the inside----really quiets up the cabin and give a nice flat surface in the trunk to carpet/upholster
doctordesoto

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like the trunk divider idea. Do you have any pics? So the 1/2 in isn't to thick?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I cut out the holes in the new package tray board and then just mounted the speakers on top of it down into the metal underneath, right through the factory holes. I used the fold nuts and screws that came with the speakers.

Nevermind the "unfinished" look of it:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts