Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear view mirror on the driver's door was loose. After I removed it I noticed that the front mounting "nut" was turning in the sheet metal so that I could not tighten the screw. Any ideas as to how to get this tighter? Looks like I probably have to remove it and install a new one. I can't remember the specific name of this collapsible sleeve type nut or the tool that is required to install it....so any help here would be appreciated. I would like to give the appearence that I know what I'm looking for at the auto parts counter!!:p:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think they are called press in riv-nuts, but not to sure on that. Cougars Unlimited has kits fairly cheap. Don't know what car you have there but you can check them out at www.mustangsunlimited.com in the cougar division...just look up mirror hardware. In the catalog it's page 67.. www.AutoKrafters.com also has the screws for like 1.00 or so US they have a mount repair kit for $7.95 just a few to check out ...Lance
Hope this helps///...

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I took out the " riv-nut"? and used a nut and bolt with some lock-tite so no one could take the mirrors. Check out some hardware store for screws and nuts that fit. Better to be safe then sorry, I've had afew things go missing, so I make sure everything is going to stay. Usually speaker hardware is the same style.

Rick

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I was looking for a lazy-man's solution to this rivnut thing. When it came to having no choice but to go inside the door, the solution was very simple...vice grips on the inside portion of the rivnut to hold it steady while the bolt went in.:rolleyes: One of these days, when time is more abundant, I'll replace both rivnuts and make a permanent repair!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts