Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a track bar in the rear of 67 68 car using the stock rear leaf type suspension? Also any source foe reverse eye springs for the cougar

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Like this?
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=995+01&Category=Suspension+&+Steering&subCategory=Sway+Bars+&+Hardware&CatKey=Cougar

My understanding is that you have to weld an area for the capture nuts, so you can bolt the ends to the frame. I have one, that isn't installed yet for that reason.
The one that MU has is what I had hoped to use this spring. But if welding is needed, I dunno. Anybody have experience with this swaybar? BTW, is there a difference in a track bar and a swaybar?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sway bar does not do the same thing as a track bar. Track bar connects to the frame at one end and the diff on the opposite side and runs nearly parrallel to the diff housing. It keeps the rear centered under the car. Have to have item for link type suspensions, and only needed on rear leaf for extreme handling racing applications. I got sway covered but need to pin down the side to side.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one that MU has is what I had hoped to use this spring. But if welding is needed, I dunno. Anybody have experience with this swaybar? BTW, is there a difference in a track bar and a swaybar?
No welding required on the one I obtained. Two holes on each side frame and pass u type bolts through.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Keep in mind that a track (panhard) bar is only going to work with very limited travel (i.e., stiff) springs. Any significant suspension travel will actually cause the axle housing to move sideways which is exactly what you are trying to prevent. Granted, the sideways movement will be a controlled movement, meaning that you can adjust your driving to accommodate it. A somewhat more complicated option, but one that would work with stock springs, is a Watkins link setup, which has a pivot bar attached to the pumpkin and rods running parallel to the axles from each end of the pivot bar to each frame rail. This type of lateral locating device does is not affected by suspension travel.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jshcobra I think you mean the watts link. yes I am considering fabbing that but there are some track/panhard bar kits already available. jes wondering is someone had any experience with that. Or even the watts link for that matter.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Heh heh, yea, watts link is what I meant. I had one on my Cobra II for some autocrossing back in college. With a v8, those cars are somewhat noseheavy and prone to overstear so any quirkiness in the rear suspension when cornering resulted in unexpected spinouts. Fun, but not so good for making good time around the track. My homemade setup helped fix that to some degree.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a place that has a watts link for my application. That is the way I am going.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts