Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the widest tire I can use on the back of the 69? I saw on a thread saying you ccan use BF good rich 305's with an 4.5" offset. For some reason, I can not find this tire anywhere. One gguys said it was a street legal drag tire, but coouldnt find it in that width. Any ideas? Thnks

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm looking to do the same thing now. I want to get some real meat under there. Well, the rim I want to use is the stock "styled wheel". Olny problem is they are only 6" wide. So now I need to find a wheel rebuilder to remove the center and put in on a wider rim. (If any one can tell me if they know of a wheel rebuilder please let me know). Anyway, While I was at the tire store getting the rim width measured, (they have a caliper that can measure the rim with the tire still on it.), I was looking at some newer wheels for just in case I couldnt find a wheel rebuilder at a reasonable price. They showed me some brand new 24" rims. These things were HUGE. Two full feet of rim. Talk about throwing your speedo off. They told me the tires for those rims were $850.00 each. That's $3400 alone for tires and over $1200 for rims. Oh yea, if you go to http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com you can find the 305's there. they are under the Euro T/A lable.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
vfret said:
That's $3400 alone for tires and over $1200 for rims. Oh yea, if you go to
wow, where are you shopping to get a deal that good??? he he he. jk jk . i know that you meant 1200 for EACH rim. 24s go for about 8000 for a set with rims and tires around here. but damn, ugly ugly ugly. and everyone has them

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Logan, How much room do you have on the inside between the tire and the body with those 295's and 4.5" of backspacing?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
There is a place Called Specialty Wheels in Oregon that make the S.S. rims in 15x8. heres a link. Go to catologues, then Specialty Wheels,
http://[email protected]/

The wheels are under 69-70C, and sizes are 14x6,14x7,15x6,15x7,15x8.
67-68C go to 15x10

Rick

·
Registered
266 Posts
dark7068, Thanks for the tip. I also found a place to convert my existing wheels to any size or backspacing. I guess we will see which is cheaper, or better for that matter.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I found a place called Stockton wheel that says they can turn my 14x6 into a 15x8 for $90 each with any backspacing I want. That's not too shabby.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Thats cheaper for you than Specialty Wheels, they want 275. Can. for 15x8, but Specialty Wheel is cheaper for me, shipping my rims over, then getting them done, then shipping them back will be expensive for Stockton for me. I heard about them a few years ago, if you chose that route, let me know the quality. I want 15x8 or 15x10 back for my cat.
Thanx

Rick

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow, $275. I only need two done. Not all four. I'll probably go with Stockton. I first need to know how a 14" center will look in a 15" rim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts