Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the paint on my rear tail light bezels on my 70 eliminator. Can I sand blast them? Or what would be the best way to romove the paint?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sand blasting or glass beading these is a dicey proposition to avoid the chrome. I would suggest masking the fronts off with duct tape (or some other tough tape) but that would be fairly exacting work. However, thinking about it, you could do the vertical bars en masse (bridge them with the wider tape) and blast from the back, but you need to keep the ends where the wide recess is before the edges begin open, so in that area the taping would need to be narrow and then the edges you can go wide over again.

The good news is that it only takes a quick second of the blast media to clean the trim paint off, but chrome can be damaged fairly easily too depending on the media type and condition.

Thinking some more, maybe this all I have tried to describe doesn't matter at all? Eliminators the bezels are full black or just part black? The less the chrome shows/matters on Eliminator bezels, the more possible blasting/beading becomes.

Regardless, if you determine you can proceed, don't linger in any one spot for long as the plating can begin to bubble/peel from the pot metal underneath.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If you're looking for brand new looking with no eliminator specific blacked out portion, I'd get another nice set, either repops or sweet originals, and hang those originals with the eliminator stripe in the garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts