Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what I can use on my 69 to get the rear in to hook up? I asked Moroso about their slide-a-link system and they said they didn't list one for a cougar, but they do have one for a mustang. Will it work? They recommended a floater assembly with ladder bars, but I do know if I want to do that???

Gio:1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
First of all, how much horsepower are you trying to hook up?

If it's a mildly modified to half-race setup, then the stock setup should work ok.
Read up on leaf spring suspension setup, pinion angle, driveline angle, unibody chassis deflection and other suspension tips. There are some good books out there to be read on the subject.
Spend about 30 bucks on books and 5 bucks on highlighters and copies of pages you need to use and reread while looking at the car and measuring.
Then, look at your cat with an objective eye and see where you need to go.
Throwing money at the problem with fancy shmancy suspension setups will only be just that unless you back up your purchase with some serious knowledge before money changes hands.
Not trying to be mean, just trying to save you some money.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Or you could jump online to your favorite Cougar Forum and ask for opinions from all of the Cougar guys there that have years of "Been there, tried that" and then try to sort through the glut of information to find a common thread of success. :p:

If you are going to do that, you should let the guys and gals know a little about your car and it's use. What results are you looking for? I see from your profile that you have a 69 with the 351W. I have owned a few of those, so I will start. :D

My first 69 was a street/strip car. I had a 351W, swapped in a 351C with misc goodies - cam, Holley intake, 750 DP MS, headers, MSD, dual point, B&M converter & shift kit, 3.70:1 posi rearend andG60-14 bias ply tires. The car ran 14.7 consistantly and I used the good old "slapper bars" with stock springs, air shocks and about 1/2" of gap between the snubber and the spring. Got good traction and was still streetable.

Next..... :1poke:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 351W will have a minimum of 400hp. The car will be show quality, used mostly street, and sometimes on the strip. I will look into some books, just wondering if anyone had some ideas.....

Thanks,
Gio

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm going through the same issues now. I have a 390 with about (crossing fingers until dyno runs in a month or so;) ) 450hp and I'm having severe traction problems.....bad wheel hop and no grip. My rear suspension is shot....original springs, bad/cheap shocks and deteriorated bushings.
The first step to getting the problem solved is to make sure what you have isn't worn out. If your springs, shocks and bushings are in good order.......a good set of traction bars (slapper or shelby style) and adjusting your pinion snubber should help you out a good bit. I'd go that route before dropping big cash on a whole new rear end fiasco.
By the way.....my new rear suspension is in route so if you don't make any decisions in a week or so I'll let you know if all the new goodies helped my situation.

·
11,000 Posts
The Mustang slide-a-link will be too short. There are Cal Tracs (made by NHRA racer Wayne Calvert) for your application.

The number one thing to do for making the car hook is to get a good set of tires. You might find you have no use for traction bars depending how stiff the rear springs are. If you are running tires that won't hook the traction bars are just for looks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Try using the Traction Master bars. Make sure you get the ones for a Cougar, NOT Mustang they are VERY different. Cost around a 100. Works great on my 69, that had real bad hop, no gone.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Or...as an alternative...

Perhaps it would help the traction and hook-up issues if you did the responsible and sensible thing, and just GRAAADDDUUULLLY go from a dead stop to cruising speed, and just lay off the pedal!!!

I think people with the high HP engines should realize that it's just plain irresponsible to let the car get out of control (which it IS doing, BTW, whenever the rubber lets loose of the road for even an instant!). I mean, for crissake, did your Driver Education class screening of "Red Asphalt" do NOTHING?????

Oh, wait...WTF was I THINKING???? :1poke:

That was the whole reason I got rid of my denim-upholstered Gremlin and my cute lil' hatchback Vega in the first place!!!

Nevermind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

(this moment of temporary insanity was brought to you by Paul's Great Auntie Bernice, who, kindhearted as she was, was always a strong proponent of sensible driving in her string of high-performance vehicles (the '64 Chrysler Newport, the Gremlin, and the Vega - in that order)).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts