Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I am looking into having my whole rear suspension rebuilt. The main reason why I want to do this is because the driver side rear is sitting noticeably lower than the passenger side. Also, I want to raise the back end a little. Not making is so high that it looks like a dragster, but so that it's sits slightly higher than the front.

Any advice on what parts I should get? And does anyone have a good brand of shocks to recommend?

Also, while it was in the show, I was thinking of having the brakes done. I want to keep the original drum brakes, but I want to increase their effectiveness. Does anyone make "high performance" shoes and/or drums?

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If there is a place locally that works with leaf springs, you may be able to get yours "re-arched", and install new bushings while you have them out. One inch drop springs are popular for the front to help get that rake that you are after. As far as rear brakes, wagons and full sized cars used a 2 1/2 wide pad, that was a common upgrade for race cars back in the day. Do you have drums on all four corners? Or just in the rear.
If you have them in front, you might think about a disc brake upgrade. They look expensive up front, but the increase stopping ability is well worth it, espcially when you get around to engine upgrades...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Your car might have a broken rear spring making it sit funny (and lower) in the first place... Very common for the main leaf to be broken because of rust (the Cougar rubber isolator holds in the water). Just get stock rear springs from Espo with a stiffer spring rate (GT option) or maybe a 1" lift... Give them a call at 800-903-9019 or request a quote!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts