Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

rather reluctantly and constantly setting myself back due to procrastination (*sighs*), I am in the process of overhauling my suspension completely.

Among many other things, I have ordered new rear leaf spring insulators and the much sought-after wedges from Don (thumbs up on the really great service and quick overseas shipping!). I am still lacking the insulator brackets, which I was unable to find online, anywhere. I am now inclined to fabricate my own from scratch.

So, here are my two questions:

- 1st: can anyone tell me the (more or less) exact dimensions of the brackets? Height, width (well, width is a measurement which is quite self-explanatory, due to the width of the insulators) and thickness?

- 2nd: By how much will the new leaf spring insulators compress, approximately?

I do have sheet metal of various thicknesses readily available; having the pieces bent by a local shop won't break the bank either.

thanks in advance,

Simon

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
You are asking about the boxes? There are three different sizes, apparently for different leaf pack thicknesses.
That is as far as I got on them, research wise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you Scott,

Oh yes, the hat-type boxes which go over the rubber insulators I am talking about - in fact, I have never seen them myself, as the silly PO got rid of a lot of the original parts, in favour of a pair of cheap, generic lowering blocks (which he also removed just before I picked up the car, stacking dozens of washers on the U-bolts underneath the shock plates *d'uh*).

This subject is not as easy as I first thought, I have to admit that now.

My plan so far:

- get rid of the funky aftermarket shocks with those additional coil springs on them, and replace with a set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks

- replace the terribly worn bushings on the leaf spring front eye. Usually, I am not a big fan of polyurethane bushings, but they were cheap and readily available.

- replace the terribly worn bushings on the shackles - actually, I got a new set of shackles from Don (neither the cheap economy ones, nor NOS - I mean, the quality inbetween those two mentioned). Now, I am already thinking about PU bushings for the shackles as well. What was the saying, again? Make a plan first, then stick to it! I failed on both parts of that rule.

- swap the leaf springs from left to right and vice versa. The driver side one is sagging a wee little bit, after 45 years. Driver side rear springs get all the twisting force from the engine's torque, after all. I briefly thought about disassembling them and send them to a shop to have them re-arched, but skipped that thought almost immediately. No funds ATM, besides they are not that tired yet, and I am not a performance driver and rarely ever even have one passenger, let alone three passengers and luggage.

- I do have generic U-bolts (Moostang reproductions, but at this point I am worried they might prove to be too short. Do Moostang and Cougar U-bolts interchange, after all?!?)

- replacement shock plates I have here, but they won't work. The holes are too close to each other, the rubber insulators will not fit, no way. I hope the ones on the car are still the original ones, so I can re-use them after a bit of cleanup and a bit of paint.

Now, what am I going to do about the "brackets" which go over the leaf springs and the rubber insulators? Is fabricating them a reasonable choice, after all?

Simon

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Very interesting find Scott. I thought all the 1967-1970 insulating rear brackets were the same....I'll pull a few I have here to see if I can see a height difference.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Simon,

Mustang bolts will not work unless you buy longer ones (MU sells such) as the mustangs do not have the insulators.

You don't say what year Cougar you have, what is it?

I cannot believe that WCCC doesn't have these brackets in droves.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 1967, which came from the factory with a 289, a C4 transmission, A/C and power steering. Of all that, the C4 is the only thing left.

I reckon I will have to place another order for U-bolts, shock plates and the brackets after I get my next paycheck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts