Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm swapping the rear springs on my 68 today. The bushing in the frame for the rear shackle is seized in place. Any suggestions for getting it out?

·
Registered
145 Posts
a pair of channel lock pliers always works for me. just grab the edge of bushing and twist back n forth. spray a little wd-40 or the like.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If you want to keep them, use the bolt and pry it out, lots of wd-40 too. If you dont want to keep them, use a torch, they are cheap enough to get new ones and a better idea anyways.

Rick

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading your advice I decided that I would burn out the bushing. Before I left for Home Depot to get another tank for my propane torch, I soaked the bushings with Kroil.

After about 1/2 hour I was nervously crawling under the car getting ready to fire that torch up just a few inches from the gas tank. Just then my dad says "try to pry them out one more time, you never know."

So I stick a bent screwdriver up in there and yank. The bushings slid out smooth as could be. All four on both sides came out with minimal effort.

The moral to this story is Kroil is great stuff, especially if you give it some time to work.

·
Registered
266 Posts
No, the moral to the story is don't use a torch near a fuel tank if you don't have to.:D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yeah. I work in a spring shop, and the guy before me caught someones car on fire from the torch, oxy-acc. torch even. I saw the car, it melted the rear valance, and blew a hole in the frame, not pretty.

Rick

LAST resort only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts