Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So I'm going to attack those atrocious air shocks that blew out and left my 70s modified 68 bouncing on the fat rear tires.......
I'm going to rip them out and throw them into the trash! Now, I'd like to replace them with KYB gas shocks. (They've been highly recommended). Any thoughts?

How to properly jack up the car for this?

Also, can I do leaf springs later, or should it be all at once?

Also, I've noticed what appears to be a 2 inch spacer block on each leaf spring. Should I pull these off? Are they standard? Do they lower the car by being there?

Help!

jc:eek2:

·
Registered
794 Posts
whats a "70s modified 68" ?

If you want to do rear shocks you do not need to jack up the car.
It would not be much easier to do springs at the same time. (would save 2 nuts to be removed)

The "spacer" you see might be the spring insulator pads or the wedge to keep the driveshaft angle correct. Do not remove the wedge.

·
Registered
794 Posts
oh, I forgot. when you try and remove the nuts on the top of the shock (from inside trunk) it will spin the shaft of the shock. Put vise grips on the underside to hold it for you while you loosen the nut from the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CRAZY,
It looks like a previous owner was going for a "DRAG look" as he put Centerline rims and fat tires and air shocks for lift... I say 70s because, judging from the condition of the wheels, it must have been when they first came out. Was that the 70s?

I wasn't into it at first, but I cleaned up the rims, put on new center hubs and lugs, and I'm diggin the look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts