Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 68 XR7 parts car with the only thing good on it being the body panels and roof. I already removed the front quarters and doors but how do I remove the rears? Also I need to remove the roof as my current cougar has the "vinyl top of death" and barley holds water.
IMG_0288[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Removing quarter panels involves drilling out many spot welds, at every edge of the panel(s). Where the quarter joins the roof the seam is leaded. You can melt out the lead and then drill the spot welds there as well. At the front A-pillars are similar joints close to the top of the pillar if I recall correctly. Many people make their own cuts depending on what they are trying to replace, but separating at the factory seams is the preferred/best way IMO.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I looked at the panel and your right there are about 100 spot welds and a leaded section. After about a hlaf hour of drilling out the welds I grabbed the saws-all and went to town. I still have to do the other quarter and roof today but then that will finish the body work. If any one is interested in a quarter or fender let me know I post what I got off of it later with pictures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts