Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
cons- price, time installing and setting up gears again, BOTH tires wear out the same time, noisey to some extent

pros- 2 black marks instead of 1, leaves straighter (sorta) :D better traction, sounds cool "I have a posi" ;)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yup nothing like it

They even leave skidders in reveres too:D

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
tire wear is your only CON cause with the possi you will have tire wear! :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
What do you mean by noisy???

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Sometimes you hear the ratcheting action clicking on and off depending on what type posi you have... a posi, a locker, etc. Lockers are a little noisier I believe.

JUST STAY AWAY FROM A SPOOL FOR THE STREET!!

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cool. YOu would only hear that when you are accelerating right??? You wouldn't hear it cruising down the highway???

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You would mostly hear when accelerating after decelerating like when going around corners. Once it engages, it stays that way until you let off and it disengages and "free-wheels."

Most swear by the locker, but I just have a regular posi in mine and it's quiet. I seem to remember Royce talking about a "soft locker" or something along those lines from Summit. I also recall that it was rather pricey. He'd be a better source on that unit.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
ok here is my .02 cents worth on a full time posi.
When you have a full time posi or(locker) you will wear thru a pair of rear tires fast cause when you go around a corner in a limited slip you got one tire moving while 1 is non locking.When you got them both locked they turn at the same speed and you get a chirping sound when you go around corners.As well as they are dangerous when the road is wet as well.Plus they are not recommended for street use , mostly 1/4 mile action.Go with a limited slip differential , when you slam the gas then you got posi but normal driving you`ll be mostly 1 wheel.I replaced the posi i had n gave it away thats how much i hated it n went w/ a JEGS item named TORQ LINE. its 385.00 but its well worth it.I think they have others cause last i seen its not there anymore.Plus i rebuilt my 3rd member and added 31 spline axles as well sine the differential was 31 spline.But when you put in a limited slip differential make sure you add the fluid additive to the rear end fluid as well .It helps stop the chattering and (CLICKING) when you go around corners and such.This is what i had ta say about posi`s go limited slip definately.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I CANT HEAR CRAP, WITH HOOKER HEADERS ANYWAY, SO GO FOR IT. YOU DID NOT SAY IF CAR IS AUTO OR 4 SPD . MY ELIMINATOR HAS BOSS 351 750 HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMP, SOLID LIFT CAM, ROLLER ROCKERS, 3.89 LOCKER 2.5 IN ALUM EXHAUST W FLOWMASTERS. [email protected] 117, AND WILL EAT 428 GT500 OR BIG BLOCK ANYTHING FOR LUNCH. HAVE TIME SLIPS AND VIDEO TO PROVE IT . GEOFF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts