Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Since I got this hardtop project, I have a few new issues I have to look at that aren't apparent on the convertibles. First off, the car has an AM radio in the dash. If it had factory rear speaker, as was available, on which side of the package tray would the speaker be? The middle is reserved for the defroster, right? Did it possibly take up both sides of the package tray with two speakers or what? Also, on an unrelated note, how hard is it to replace the vinyl top? The isn't any rust underneath it as I can tell, but how hard is it to install/how much? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the speakers would be on each side of the rear defroster. :) I dont think they came with an AM radio though, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I think 67 was the last year for that.You could get a reverb(remember those) in 67, and that got you a rear speaker. In 68 you could get FM stereo(mono only in 67) and that killed the reverbs. You may have been able to get something dealer installed after that but I don't think it would matter what side it was on..
of course i could be wrong

Bruce

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I have removed a rear seat speeker setup from a 69 with a AM radio. The wires ran down the passengers side and the speeker was on the pasengers side of the package tray. Looking at the wiring diagram it shows this for the AM but does not show one for the sterio radios.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I found a 70 owners manual and in my last post I said I could be wrong, well I was. There was 2 rear speakers with a fader offered with the AM radio. So to answer your question, there was 2 rear speakers not 1.. Hope this helps

Bruce

·
Registered
488 Posts
no you were wrong both times! LOL! the 69 and 70 rear speaker setup is a single rear speaker on the passenger side connected to a fader control that slipped over the shaft on the AM radio and used the original dummy knob on the radio. the two speakers in the system were front to rear not side to side. hawkrod

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hey, nobody is perfect. LOL But the 70 owners manual I have does say "rear speakers" . Of course "specifications subject to change without notice"...

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts