Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've developed an oil leak (actually it's almost an oil "drain.") I thought it was the rear seal as it's coming down the front of the bellhousing. I pulled the pan and changed the gasket and front/rear seals. However, I put the pan gasket on the pan first. It leaked. I dropped the pan again, but this time actually READ the instructions and put it on the block first. I used Formagasket on the gasket to block surface and then blue RTV on the pan and front/ rear seals (paying special attention to the corners.) Fill up the crankcase, start it and within a couple of minutes, here comes the dripping! It stops when I turn it off. I don't see any oil running down the back of the engine from topside. Is it possibly a crank seal and if so, what does replacing that entail?

I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this car. I've had it for 10 years, put many nickels and dimes into it, and for the past year and a half, I've been paying storage as I don't have room for it at home. If this looks like I'm going to have to pull the motor to fix, I might just unload it.

It would really be nice to come to this site and say how much I'm enjoying the car, but I don't know if that'll ever happen.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Possibly a oil galley plug is leaking. back of motor, next to large plug for cam shaft... ??

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Also possible that the camshaft plug is leaking. Doesn't sound like you changed the rear main, so that would be the most likely culprit. I would say try putting some seal conditioner in the oil, but if it is leaking real bad then it may be too far gone for that.

Do a search on rear mains, there have been a few threads lately about replacing them with the engine still in the car. It can be done by dropping the pan and removing the rear main and loosening the rest of the mains.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^Ouch!!^^ Don't know if I'm ready for that. I might try the stop leak first. It just seemed to let go. Didn't notice a leak until I actually took it for a couple mile "test" after it had been sitting.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
A surprising amount of hot oil can get past unsealed threads on the flywheel/flexplate bolts. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 on that as well....I think that's highly likely if it has been removed lately.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Also possible that the camshaft plug is leaking. Doesn't sound like you changed the rear main, so that would be the most likely culprit. I would say try putting some seal conditioner in the oil, but if it is leaking real bad then it may be too far gone for that.
I heard the the oil sealant cause more problems than they solve. Has anyone here tried it? I bought the Lucas Oil treatment but have been afraid to use it. I am leaking from the same area. The comment about the bolts on the flexplate/flywheel have caught my interest since I had amy transmission rebuilt lat year and have around 500 miles on the car since then.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I heard the the oil sealant cause more problems than they solve. Has anyone here tried it? I bought the Lucas Oil treatment but have been afraid to use it. I am leaking from the same area. The comment about the bolts on the flexplate/flywheel have caught my interest since I had amy transmission rebuilt lat year and have around 500 miles on the car since then.
I tried some STP? oil sealant years ago in a old Ford Granada. It turned the oil into little rubber like chunks and killed what was left of the engine. This was in the 80's so hopefully there's better stuff out there now. I haven't tried anything like it since.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like the rear main seal to me. I just did my first one last week and lucky enough to stop the leak the first time....When i would put it in drive it would gush out like water just like you mentioned. Cost about $12 for the seal $13 for oil and filter. $12 for pan gasket $10 for the tap set, a socket set, a steady hand and alot of patience. easy though. And im no mechanic by far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
just read your post again...A lil confused if you changed the rear main seal or not. Sounds like you said you change the rear and front of the pan gaskets...if you did do the rear main seal...disregard my post...smile...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm also thinking oil gallery or cam plug. Your going to have to pull the trans back to check however.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts