Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm rebuilding a 302 2V engine to put in my J code so I can drive it while I rebuild the J code engine (and do it right). Two reasons for this. One, I've never rebuilt an automotive engine before. Two, I will accumulate the tools I need so it won't take me 6 months to rebuild the J code engine.

I am now starting to reassemble the engine and I have a question about the installation of the rear main seal. The old seal was a two piece rope seal. The new seal is a two piece rubber seal. The new seal is beveled and I don't know if the high part of the bevel goes towards the inside or outside of the engine. The manuals I have indicate that it's important to put it in right, but the descriptions are confusing to a newbee like me. The pictures are not clear, either.

It's pretty clear I'm going to have to remove the pin in the cap. So, I'm good there.

And, do I need to "seat" the seal? I have one book telling me to use a large diameter socket and a mallet to make sure the seal is properly seated. The other one makes no mention of that.

Finally, do I need to apply any type of sealant between the seal and the block/cap?

Anything I might be missing?

Thanks a lot,

Greg

·
Registered
913 Posts
I will try to make this as clear as I can, remove old pin as you thought ,the raised lip goes to the inside (engine side), you don't need to seat the seal, just make sure you have it pushed down snug. Leave a part of the seal sticking up out of the block about 3/8 inch,and also leave the same amount hanging out of the cap on the other side, so that the seal will be offset in the block.
lubricate the seal surface but not the ends, apply a thin coat of sealer to the bearing cap chamfer and to the cap mating surface adjacent to the seal but NOT ON THE SEAL END.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 It will seat itself when done as towcat says.....

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. Thanks. One more question. By bearing cap chamfer, I assume you mean the finished edges of the cap that mate against the block (just making sure). I'm anal about leaks and want to get this right.

I'd seen the offset of the seal in one of my books.

Again, thanks a lot.

Greg

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Put a little dab of black silicone in the hole where the pin for the rope seal was located.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts