Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know if and which year mustang leafs are compatible with a 69 cougar with a small block? I've noticed leaf springs are much cheaper for mustangs than cougars. Or am I stuck paying extra $$$ with the cougar specific springs? Thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
far as i know, none will interchange... sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Ever thought of getting yours re-arched. Take them out and down to a spring shop and get them to repair and rearch them for half the price of new ones.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
rick... maybe i should have this done too... pros and cons please.....

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Steve, Im kinda biased here. I work in a spring shop a few days a week until its busy again, then its back to full time.

Pro's:
ALOT cheaper then buying new ones
cheaper if you take them out and bring them in (you'd be doing that anyways if you bought new ones right)

they will settle after awhile so get and extra inch in the re-arch
more then likely some springs will be broken if its sagging (the reason it's not safe to add a lift kit)

There's 4 springs per side but the main is rearly broken, usually the second one is broken in half.
An extra leaf will lift the car up 1 1/2 but it will settle over time depending on the weight you put in the trunk.
If you add an extra leaf, check out your shocks for travel, and the rubber brake line from the body to the axle, sometimes its too short.
Ive done both my cars, and truck, and alot of my friends. Its worth checking into if you want to compare prices. Just remember to retorque the U-bolts (new or rearched) about a weeks worth of driving, things settle and the ubolts will too, so double check them.
Also, the spring shops dont spend alot of time painting them all pretty, so if you want a good job, repaint them before you bolt them on, and get new rubber pads, and shackle bushings.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Rick, you speak the truth as I used to use a local spring shop quite often on the race cars. I kept 2 or 3 sets of leafs for it and changed them out often and had them rearched before used again. Dirt cars are hard on springs and I belive the rearched springs really lasted about as long as the new ones did.

I was quite surprised last year when I went to change all 4 springs on my F250 HD 4wd. I intended to get them rebuilt and I did have a couple broken leafs. Instead of rebuilding my springs they quoted me a price for new ones for like $10 more than rebuilding the old ones. Also I ended up with a higher rated set of front springs than original as they said its what they stocked for guys who run snowplows.

I would have to dig out the reciepts but I think I put on all 4 springs for around $400. mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
spring shops

here we have cleveland spring thats all they do,your right for about 10.00 more you can get a new set installed.for the price including labor you cant beat it with a club:D Dan

·
Registered
544 Posts
The mustang leafs are shorter than cougar leafs. I would use a local spring shop if I had to do leafs again. I got new leafs from detroit eaton, and ended up having to remove them and send them back to be rearched to get the height correct.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts