Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right rear of my 69 XR7 vert sits a little lower than the left. I called a local spring shop with 80 years in business and an excellent reputation. Their recommendation would be to remove the leafs and re bend them. They asked how the left side sat and I assume fine. So... two questions 1) does anyone have the factory ride height (bumper to ground)? 2) Has anyone had experience with re bending a leaf spring?

The said they would gladly replace the leafs but feel that may be money spent I don't need to. After looking at WCCC site there are many to pick from.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pretty easy to take some measurements, four corner jacks on the frame rails, make sure the car is on a nice level surface, tape measure the aft frame rails (behind the spring shackle) to the ground. Move forward toward the front of the leaf. Take some in the front as well just keep in mind that these are old car and are rarely 'perfectly square'.
On the spring issue, yes if you have a local spring company they can re-bend or re-arch your current springs... my little Cortina had a ton of "S" bent into the springs, had it done and it works fine...

·
11,000 Posts
I just bought new springs from ESPO http://www.espo.com

They cost something like $279 including shipping. Don't know what your spring shop charges but I bet by the time they are through it will be close to that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The ONLY place that has a license to do Ford/Mercury springs is Eaton Detroit Spring. I just priced mine for my '70 vert and was quoted $479.

·
11,000 Posts
The license and the extra $179 in price makes them better how? I have purchased a set from Detroit Eaton in the past. Since then I have purchased four sets from ESPO.

The ONLY place that has a license to do Ford/Mercury springs is Eaton Detroit Spring. I just priced mine for my '70 vert and was quoted $479.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wondering the exact same thing... are they different in some way that is beneficial?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also appreciate the comments............. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Don't think it makes them better. I bought a set for a Mustang through Lancaster Mustang 18 years ago and used them on a car that auto-crossed for the next few years and then was regularly used in bracket racing for several years along with regular driving. Not a bit of sag to this day.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It depends on your application. Do you want concourse correct? Or just a correct ride height? I don't know anything about "Espo". Are they concourse correct? If so, then the savings would be great.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I asked your questions on Eaton Detroit's forum and they answered. You should be able to see the answer about "'70 cougar vert leaf springs" or join the forum and ask your own questions. I also asked why cougar springs were $479 vs. $279 at NPD for mustang springs and the answer was cougar springs are a lot different and NPD has buying power.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did one cougar with springs from Eaton Detroit and one with springs from Espo. The springs from Eaton Detroit sat too low and I had to get them redone to get the correct height. The springs from Espo were perfect the first time.

Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
So does anyone have the ride height for a 69? I replaced the springs on my Eliminator about 20 years ago and they seem to have saged again, but I am not sure without knowing what is proper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went out and measured the height of my eliminator at the rear wheel wells and found it to be around 25.25" on one side and 25.5" on the other if that helps anyone. Is this considered to be normal ride height or is it low?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, you're the first to actually give a measurement.... I appreciate you taking the time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did some searching on here and found that normal ride height is around 25" in back and about 25.5" in front so it appears that my springs have not sagged as I thought, it is just me wanting the back end to be up a little. I plan on looking into re-arching my springs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The most important measurement is the free arch. What's on someones car doesn't matter. Does their car have a full tank of gas,half a tank,does it have a spare in the trunk???Too many variables from one car to another. The most accurate way is to take a spring off and measure the free arch and compare to factory free arch measurement. Again join the Eaton Detroit Spring forum and get your answers from the pros.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm still wondering about the frame thing. I have a 68 cougar that doesn't sit right, or level in the back or front. I was thinking of replacing the leaf springs, but I'm concerned that the frame is twisted. Can you have a unibody frame straightened?

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is the ride height of mine w/ the new 8.8, the GT Comp springs from General Spring, and all of the rubber clamshell and lowering block bull**** removed ... Still has axle wrap ... Fawk ...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
BM1,
You can take the car to a frame shop, and confirm or deny if it is square, and then go from there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts