Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I wanted to ask about my 67 Cougar Lucy! This will be my first time replacing leaf springs as she is my first car! Anyway, I just wanted to see if you guys had any general tips. And suggestions on where to get springs and shackles to make sure this goes smoothly. I already tried GeneralSpring but I did not like them. Took me 4 weeks to finally realize they were not going to ship the springs because they were not for sale. (Even though I paid for them already). I also have a squeaky suspension issue. However I think I can fix that on my own. Upper control arms are not greased because zerk fittings are plugged or something. Anyway, I just wanted to pick your brains! Thanks for reading! Wish me and Lucy luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is what I learned from doing my ‘67 leaf springs.
First, the springs are unique to the Cougar, Mustang springs won’t work. When I bought mine they ordered in Mustang springs by mistake. Also, the original springs are a higher quality steel then what they use now, so I wouldn’t replace them unless you know you really need to (mine had been modified to lower the car so I really needed to).

My second gotcha was after getting the car all done, I really wish I would have gotten springs from Calvert racing because it is a street/strip car. If that isn’t your thing then ignore this but if you are inclined to do some drag racing too, then you might want to consider it.

·
Super Moderator
11,013 Posts
Generally replacement springs have always been either too high or too low from my experience replacing five pairs of them. The ones from Eaton Detroit were too low once, and too high (by many inches) the last time I used them. I have used Espo springs three times, they are much less expensive but also too low.

The last several times restoring these cars I have had original rear leaf springs overhauled and re - arched by local spring shops. This works far better and is far less expensive. It's also less work because the new springs regardless of brand always need to be re - arched to get the right ride height, which means installing and removing them at least twice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your info guys! I ended up ordering springs from General Spring. Just not as strong. I knew that Cougar springs were different so these are (hopefully) correct. I'm going to work on this later today as my hardware just arrived.

·
Super Moderator
11,013 Posts
Thanks for your info guys! I ended up ordering springs from General Spring. Just not as strong. I knew that Cougar springs were different so these are (hopefully) correct. I'm going to work on this later today as my hardware just arrived.
I hope your luck is better than mine. Every new set I have bought has had improper ride height.

·
Super Moderator
11,013 Posts
Thanks, man! This is more to replace the sag rather than ride height. The suspension bottoms out. Anyway appreciate your response.
That was exactly the result several times with brand new springs from ESPO and Detroit Eaton. Other times with brand new springs from Detroit Eaton the rear was so high in the air it was difficult to hook up the shocks because the suspension travel was topped out the other direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was exactly the result several times with brand new springs from ESPO and Detroit Eaton. Other times with brand new springs from Detroit Eaton the rear was so high in the air it was difficult to hook up the shocks because the suspension travel was topped out the other direction.
I'll definitely watch out! It's a project for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts