Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am undertaking the rear suspension and have come across two questions. First off, has anyone removed the "Granny Blocks" under the pinion angle plate and clamped the axle directly to the leafs (and what consequences have /will be suffered)? Secondly, how tight should one pinch the rear shackles down when installing new? I know the old ones had the bushing just about paper thin...
Thanks, --MG

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
those "granny blocks" should not be taken out. They locate the center bolt in the springs into the block to center the springs and keep it centered. Not a good idea in my view anyways. It's like trying to balance a ruler on a wheel, alot of movement, not cool, your car would handle like ****, and end up braking stuff or killing yourself cuz the springs would slide out.
Tighen up the shackles until they cant do up anymore, make sure the weight of the car is on the ground before you snug up the shackle bolts too.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I have taken out the blocks but I installed an extra leaf spring to compensate for the difference in thickness and provide a better controlled ride. Pretty common mod in Oz where we have more potholes than smooth tarmac and was standard on out local Falcons

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Rear axle mounting

I have removed the rubber sandwich and related parts on Alpha Cat. I made it resemble the Mustang setup (that doesn't use the rubber), mounting the axle pads directly on the springs, but I had to retain the angle wedges to keep the correct pinion angle. For most street driven Cougars this is not necessary, but for serious race duty, it may be required.

I was getting a rear end shudder that mimicked a rapid wheel hop as that rubber protested a dragstrip launch with slicks. I was also experiencing a shift of the rear end. It was trying to climb through the rubber, sliding front to back, and that angles the rear end housing in relation to the chassis, making the car take off in weird directions. Changing over to the Mustang-style axle mounting also simplified running my J-bolt traction bars, although I had to lengthen them so the snubber indexes on the front spring eye.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I new it was a matter if time before the hard "Track Facts" were laid out in front of me..... I had intended on keeping the angle plate should I go with the direct hook-up method.
Thank you for the info!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts