Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with the trim that is used on the rear guards of a 1968 Hardtop?
I was wondering what was easier, find the trim and have them attached or have the holes filled in properly when I do a all over paint job. It is just that I have never seen a picture of another Cougar with trim attached to the rear guard. See attached pics. TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The wheel lip molding is a matter of choice.....If you like it, and want it "original" you will want to try and replace it. Yours looks restorable, if you want. Next choice - weld up the holes adn smooth it up. (I like that better really)

Contact Don if you want to restore/replace: http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/whlipmo.html

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow! $245, for a couple of trim. I think I'll just have them holes filled in when i get the car painted. At the moment the car is in various shades of lime frost. I had to have the car valued for insurance purposes and he thought I should keep the car as is, as it gave it some character, but somehow I would feel better if the car had one shade of green all over, instead of the doors being a different shade to the guards. There are also 3 very small rust holes in the leading bottom corner of the passenger door, that I would like taken care of at the same time. My only problem, is that I don't think a bare metal paint job is in my budget, in the forseeable future.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I feel you pain my brother! NOS ones would make your jaw drop - I can't justify $800+ and they get that regularly. Good luck with the resto - smooth looks good too if you aske me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts