Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one recommend a cross referance for a posi rear-end from any car I can possibly find in the junkyard (for my 68) Not sure if I want a locker or just find a posi set up and rebuild...Thanks for the input. Lance

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Assuming you have a 9 incher...
FoMoCo Full size cars from the 60's and seventies. Especially wagons. Taxis and cop cars too.
Bronco/truck 1/2 ton 4wd with a 9 inch.
Industrial/HD vehicles like bread trucks, etc. Most 1 tons had danas, but some 3/4 tons had 9 inchers.
And, of course musclecars of the 60's and seventies.

Also, check the SCCA classifieds and mustang racer sites. Lots of guys go broke trying to be boy racers and have to sell their stuff when the cashflow stops. You can get Auburns and trac loks for a good price from their yard sales.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
lance.
Why not try ebay. You can find them there almost all the time. If you want go w/ a 9` rearend from a 69-70 mustang/cougar there direct bolt ins.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Kraven's list pretty much covered it. The only way to tell from outside is the data tag on the member. There is no "part number" per se that you can look for. I've had good luck with pick up trucks and BB full size cars like late 60's early 70's Tbirds.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can i just switch out the yoke because on ebay there is a posi yoke with gears...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
"data tag on the member"????

"9 inchers"????

Sheesh, if I was in Jr. High, this would be almost impossible to resist!!! Oh, who am I kidding...it STILL is...*biting tongue*

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Lance, if you already have a 9" rear, you can swap out the complete center to one that is already set up with posi. You'll need to drain it and pull the axles first. If you're only getting a posi carrier, then you'll need to disassemble your center section and set it back up with the posi carrier and all the rest of your existing components.

If you include a link to what you're looking at on e-pay,
:rolleyes:
someone will be able to guide you further.

Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
With a 68 I figured that he had a 9 and was looking for a center section to swap. Lance - If you don't have a 9 already, do not go by the list to find a complete 9 rearend, That list was best bets for a 9" posi center section!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
9 inch rear ends are rather hard to find out here in teh local yards. there is a guy that i assume supports himself by searching the local yards by picking out all the 9 inch rears out of the older cars. esp old Stangs and Cougars. matter of fact.. just try and find an early Cougar with the rear end still under it.

TallCowboy0614 said:
"data tag on the member"????

"9 inchers"????

Sheesh, if I was in Jr. High, this would be almost impossible to resist!!! Oh, who am I kidding...it STILL is...*biting tongue*
guess this would be a bad time to talk about getting proper lube for the 9 inch? lol couldnt resist either. at least its not mentioning greasing up your ball joints he he he

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yes, you can swap the yokes. I use the same yoke on all (3) of mine so the driveshaft is always in the same place. Someday I will find another 69 Cougar yoke....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Lance, you can take that whole unit pictured and swap it into your housing if you already have a 9". That complete set-up is a great way to go. 3:88 gears might be another story depending on how often you drive yours on the freeway. You'll probably be OK but just be prepared for your gas mileage to suffer a bit.

Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
BTW - If you are swapping yokes you will need to replace the crush collar each time you do this.

Also, make sure that you have the same number of splines - 28 or 31. That is the only thing that may keep it from "fitting". There are threads here about IDing which axles you have, but a quick and easy way is too look at the axle tubes. if your axle tubes taper at the hub end of the housing then you have 28s. If the axle tubes are the same diameter for the entire length then it is most likely a 31. but 28s will still fit. Only way to tell then is to slide one out.
Sorry - can't believe I didn't think to mention that earlier... :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts