Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find out just exactly what rear end i have on my '67. What sizes were used on the '67 models? I believe it to be an 8" but how can i verify this? Also, can you guys give me a good website for purchasing gears. My rear has highway gears (2.79, i think) and i'd like to upgrade to somewhere around 3.50's or so, but can't afford a lot of money. And once i DO change the gears, what steps do i need to take to keep my speedo accurate?
Thanks for ANY help that you can offer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I personally am not sure wich rear end you have on ur coug but the best idea i have for you is to get like a chiltons manual or other type of manual that decodes your vin number and i think that should tell you what rearend you have i know the vin tells you ur tranny type engine type body color and so im sure it should tell you what rearend you have and also maybe the gear ratios you have if they are the original gear ratios at that thats about the best help i could be to you if you cant find a book like that for ur coug at like an auto zone or other parts store go to a book store such as booksamillion or sumthen of the like and im sure they could help you there well ne how the best of luck on figuren it all out laterz and have a good on

peace
Justin

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that's just it.......i'm not 100% sure if it's original or not....always have to verify stuff on these older cars, cuz god only knows who's changed what and when.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey 67, look for a metal tag on one of the bolts. This will have all the info you need to ID the rear. Then search the forum...there have been a few good threads on this subject including a few websites that will decode the numbers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
im more into the mid 80's models Cats but still love the Old Classic Cats also id go with bruter on what he said about the tagged bolt i have heard of that being done before just didnt think of it at the time and being that hes a senior member on this site im sure he knows where alot of stuff is at on here i hope i helped a little bit at least and yea i do agree ya gotta make sure of what you got before you do anything to it thinking when it comes to mechanic work is what gets you in trouble in the end i think at least if you think i might be able to help just let me know laterz and peace to ya good luck with finden out what ya got

peace
justin

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Justin, don't put too much worth on that "senior member" thing...all it means is that I like to put my 2 cents worth in a lot of discussions. lol :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey bruter i mainly said what i did also cause i dont have a classic cat like you so i dont really know much about them engine wise and all like you would but wish i did have one though ne how im out for now laterz and peace

peace

Jusint O.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts