Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Rear Disc Conversion

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TheRktmn 
#1 ·
When converting to rear-wheel disc brakes, is an adjustable proportioning valve a replacement for the factory valve, or just something that is put in the rear line off the factory valve to reduce the rear line pressure?

Also, is a residual pressure check valve necessary? The adj. prop. valve won't be lower than the calipers, but you never know.

If you've had some experience with this kind of thing, please let me know how you made out. :1zhelp:

#2 ·
Rear Disc brakes

I putrear disc brakes on a mustang, almost the same brakingparts as the Cougar and i had to remove the original prop.valve and added a 2psi residual pressure valve instead of the 10psi residual pressure valve for drum brakes.

The brakes on the mustang works geat now.

#4 ·
disc brake rearend

Zero,
ask Ron Crouch he had replaced the rearend in his 70 cougar w/ a disc setup and he may know the answer.
Every little bit helps
thanks
pat

#9 ·
Check out Master Power Brakes at http://www.mpbrakes.com/VALVING.htm
They have some good info there concerning how the valves work, which ones do what and the differences between drum, disc, disc-drum and disc-disc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.