Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have seen these and considered getting them, but they have been a low priority. I am hoping to find an actual buyer for a first hand review.
BTW - don't put the URL in brackets, do
[URL(in lowercase)] the link here [/URL(in lowercase)]. Or just copy and paste (that's what I do).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2411824213&category=42605

EDIT: I sent emails to three of his customers (2 ford, 1 Chevy) asking about the quality, fitment and instructions. Also If they were satisfied and would recommend the kit. I will post any responses here. The seller has 890 positive feedbacks so he must be doing something right.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
that seems like a cool upgrade. Im kinda curious on how well it works. I just may have to get a US address :)

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Heard back from one of the Ford guys - he hasn't installed his yet. He is still collecting parts, but says that it looks to be a good quality kit.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Bob, Calypso -

I bought a set of brackets from the guy you mentioned for my S-15. Good quality, fasteners included. I haven't installed them yet, but I know the bolt holes line up.:D

Mine were 1/4" thick, should be nice and strong. Uses 82-88 Camaro calipers (those Chebby guys always have it easy...) and 80-81 Firebird rear rotors.

So, I'm happy with the quality. If I can do a rear disc setup for less than $300, I'll be REALLY pleased.

- Mike

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I was thinking that this would make a good winter project. I can start collecting cores this summer....

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Got a reply from the Chevy guy:

... The quality looks pretty good - The only problem is that I just rebuilt the 468 incher, so the rear disk setup will have to wait for a few....sorry I couldn't help ya out with any more info. Doug100 provided a ton of info and was quick to respond with questions and the ebay sale.

So far no one has installed them, but everyone is happy with the quality and the seller and the instructions provided.....

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here's the third response - from someone who installed them!

The cost is reasonable and the brackets fit well and are strong.If you get them you must get the loaded calipers and address brake lines and e-brake retro fitting as well. I'm not a good brake man and I am still having trouble getting the rear brakes to grab. The new disc brake caliper requires more fluid volume and the proportioning valve must be considered as well. They
can save you money but I don't know if it was worth all the headache of going here and there trying to get the right pieces to make it all work correctly. I'm still not done spending yet. Ive tried a few different master cylinders and haven't found the problem. In a nut shell I believe you can save money if you know exactly what it entails. Otherwise a complete kit would be better suited. Also the calipers don't always fit inside the wheel
and require spacing which would likely compromise an otherwise smooth ride.
I can't help but wonder-Wouldn't front disc only be good enough? After all even if there is more grabbing power to the back brakes the rear wheels will always lock up first under the same pressure because during braking all the
weight goes to the front wheels. Knowing what I know which isnt a heck of a lot front disk and rear drum is plenty for a street car. It does look pretty cool to see the rear disk through the wheels though.
I also have a copy of the installation instructions email if anyone is interested let me know and I will either post it or email it to you directly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts