Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I mentioned this a while back, and have finally received my first shipment of parts from the manufacturer. I am waiting for one more part, but was told that they are enroute!

I am offering a "kit" to allow you to adapt 1991 Lincoln-2000+, Crown Vic and Merqury Grand Marquis 1992-2000+ rear disc brakes to your stock small bearing 8" or 9" Ford rearend. Will work with 28 or 31 spline axles! This is the cheapest way to convert to rear disc brakes that I am aware of!

Just think, if they use these brakes on a monster Highway Patrol car, they should work great on a Cougar, Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane, etc!!! Plus parts are easy to find, since they are still in use today, and best of all, they are CHEAP!

These have internal drum type e-brake assemblies incorporated into the backing plate assy' and are not a part of the caliper, like the old Versailles unit, and like the SVO or Mark 7 calipers, both which are basically unavailable or expensive to find/rebuild. These late model calipers consist of a caliper housing, a piston, and the retractor seal and dust boot. How much simpler can it be!

You must modify your housing ends slightly so that the caliper brackets fit properly, but this is easily done, and will not affect you if you should choose to go back to drums. Done properly, nobody would notice except for the most astute! Other than this, no major mods are needed but items will need to be fabricated.

These are:
1) Brake line attachments- flex to hardline. Depends entirely on application.
2) E-brake attachment- changes from 2 sided cable to single cable. Much cleaner!
3) Two small tabs may need to be cut off of the caliper brackets to clear the rims. They have no structural function. It's just that they are there.... and don't need to be! An air cut-off wheel works great for this and modifying the axle housing ends, but it's cast iron and would cut easily with a hack saw too. The instructions will clearly detail this.
4) Remove any residual pressure valves etc. that may be in the master cylinder rear system. Not doing so, could result in the calipers staying "on" and you could cook your rotors/calipers! This is a standard item required on all rear disc conversions as far as I am aware.

IF you are going to use factory 14" rims, you must use a 5mm or 1/8" wheel spacer to clear the caliper. If you are running stock 15" or aftermarket rims, clearance should not be an issue, however, not having access to every type of rim made, I reserve the right to be wrong!

You will need the following pieces from the donor car to make this work properly: A COMPLETE set of disc brakes from either a 91-95 Lincoln or 92-95 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, or the same from a 96 and up vehicle. Cop car stuff is fine!!

You need:
Backing plates or caliper mounting plates/brackets
Backing plate mounting bolts (4 per side)
Calipers and rubber flex lines
Rotors (new ones are cheap at $29-$40 each!!!! So you may not want to mess with used ones)
10- Wheel studs from same car. (this is important in two ways!)
E-brake cables- just easier to start with parts that work together!

Typically, you can find these parts at wrecking yards for around $100 or less. If you add in new rotors, it may reach $140. Performance rotors and pads are readily available as well.

Now, you can go to eBay and buy this same stuff, but it will cost you more, and I know of no one that offers the following specially machined parts that allow this swap to happen!!! These donor cars are all over in the yards today, and offer a cheap supply! Why deal with sellers, bidding, and expensive shipping, when you can pull the parts yourself (or have your kids do it...!) for a lot less! If you like bidding on eBay, continue to do so, however, you will still need one of my "kits".

Here's what I offer:

91-95 Small hub axle kit: $50 #9195SA
Hub spacers to center the brake rotor on the small hubs.
Bearing spacers- so that your axles don't move in the housing!!! This is extremely IMPORTANT!!! Failure to use these could be very dangerous!!!
Backing plate washers- needed because of the way they are machined.
Instructions- I lay it all out....

91-95 Big hub axle kit: $25 #9195BA
All of the above except the hub spacers. This is for someone that has replaced their axles with later model (73 I believe) versions that have the larger hub diameter on them. Your stock rims will not fit on these axles unless someone has torched out the inner holes of the rims!

96+ Small hub axle kit: $50 #96SA
Bearing spacers- so that your axles don't move in the housing!!! This is extremely IMPORTANT!!! Failure to use these could be very dangerous!!!

96+ Large Hub axle kit: $25 #96BA
Same as the above but minus the hub spacers. Again, stock rims will not fit on these axles unless someone has torched out the inner holes of the rims! This would be needed if you have a '73 rear end or axles I believe.

Proper installation will require that you have your old wheel bearings removed and replaced in order to fit the bearing spacers, however, if you've never done them yet, it is probably time to do so, as well as the housing seals. Just makes good sense!

I am in the process of writing the instructions, complete with pictures, and expect to have that completed by the month end.

This really is one of the best kept secrets in the Ford world! You could make these yourself and you are welcome to do so, however, don't expect me to cough up the dimensions.....! Of course then you may need to find a machinist friend, find metal stock, buy beer, and then wait..... OR, you can order them from me and be done with it, PLUS get instructions and pictures.

To sweeten the deal further, I will ship free to forum members that mention that they saw this on the Classic Cougar Forum!

So now you have it. Rear disc brakes for under or about $200. This is affordable to just about everyone!

Thanks for reading!
Steve
408-727-8678 eves
or contact me via email.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back in stock!

All,

Once again, I have "pre-pulled" brake sets for your buying pleasure! Fresh from the yards, low mileage low wear parts.

92 Crown Vic
94 C-Vic w/removable backing plates
96 Town Car- non-removable backing plates- steel pistons
96 C-Vic- same as Town car above.

$220 includes spacers and instructions, you buy pads, rotors and line adaptors. Parts for calipers if needed....

Thanks for looking!
Steve

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am! Just haven't bounced the listing back to the top...but I guess I just did! Thanks for asking! Send me an email if you need info!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time to take a trip to the top again!

Still robbing Crown Vic's on a weekly basis!!
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

I mentioned this a while back, and have finally received my first shipment of parts from the manufacturer. I am waiting for one more part, but was told that they are enroute!

I am offering a "kit" to allow you to adapt 1991 Lincoln-2000+, Crown Vic and Merqury Grand Marquis 1992-2000+ rear disc brakes to your stock small bearing 8" or 9" Ford rearend. Will work with 28 or 31 spline axles! This is the cheapest way to convert to rear disc brakes that I am aware of!

Just think, if they use these brakes on a monster Highway Patrol car, they should work great on a Cougar, Mustang, Falcon, Fairlane, etc!!! Plus parts are easy to find, since they are still in use today, and best of all, they are CHEAP!

These have internal drum type e-brake assemblies incorporated into the backing plate assy' and are not a part of the caliper, like the old Versailles unit, and like the SVO or Mark 7 calipers, both which are basically unavailable or expensive to find/rebuild. These late model calipers consist of a caliper housing, a piston, and the retractor seal and dust boot. How much simpler can it be!

You must modify your housing ends slightly so that the caliper brackets fit properly, but this is easily done, and will not affect you if you should choose to go back to drums. Done properly, nobody would notice except for the most astute! Other than this, no major mods are needed but items will need to be fabricated.

These are:
1) Brake line attachments- flex to hardline. Depends entirely on application.
2) E-brake attachment- changes from 2 sided cable to single cable. Much cleaner!
3) Two small tabs may need to be cut off of the caliper brackets to clear the rims. They have no structural function. It's just that they are there.... and don't need to be! An air cut-off wheel works great for this and modifying the axle housing ends, but it's cast iron and would cut easily with a hack saw too. The instructions will clearly detail this.
4) Remove any residual pressure valves etc. that may be in the master cylinder rear system. Not doing so, could result in the calipers staying "on" and you could cook your rotors/calipers! This is a standard item required on all rear disc conversions as far as I am aware.

IF you are going to use factory 14" rims, you must use a 5mm or 1/8" wheel spacer to clear the caliper. If you are running stock 15" or aftermarket rims, clearance should not be an issue, however, not having access to every type of rim made, I reserve the right to be wrong!

You will need the following pieces from the donor car to make this work properly: A COMPLETE set of disc brakes from either a 91-95 Lincoln or 92-95 Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, or the same from a 96 and up vehicle. Cop car stuff is fine!!

You need:
Backing plates or caliper mounting plates/brackets
Backing plate mounting bolts (4 per side)
Calipers and rubber flex lines
Rotors (new ones are cheap at $29-$40 each!!!! So you may not want to mess with used ones)
10- Wheel studs from same car. (this is important in two ways!)
E-brake cables- just easier to start with parts that work together!

Typically, you can find these parts at wrecking yards for around $100 or less. If you add in new rotors, it may reach $140. Performance rotors and pads are readily available as well.

Now, you can go to eBay and buy this same stuff, but it will cost you more, and I know of no one that offers the following specially machined parts that allow this swap to happen!!! These donor cars are all over in the yards today, and offer a cheap supply! Why deal with sellers, bidding, and expensive shipping, when you can pull the parts yourself (or have your kids do it...!) for a lot less! If you like bidding on eBay, continue to do so, however, you will still need one of my "kits".

Here's what I offer:

91-95 Small hub axle kit: $50 #9195SA
Backing plate washers- needed because of the way they are machined.

91-95 Big hub axle kit: $25 #9195BA
All of the above except the hub spacers. This is for someone that has replaced their axles with later model (73 I believe) versions that have the larger hub diameter on them. Your stock rims will not fit on these axles unless someone has torched out the inner holes of the rims!

96+ Small hub axle kit: $50 #96SA

96+ Large Hub axle kit: $25 #96BA
Same as the above but minus the hub spacers. Again, stock rims will not fit on these axles unless someone has torched out the inner holes of the rims! This would be needed if you have a '73 rear end or axles I believe.

Proper installation will require that you have your old wheel bearings removed and replaced in order to fit the bearing spacers, however, if you've never done them yet, it is probably time to do so, as well as the housing seals. Just makes good sense!

I am in the process of writing the instructions, complete with pictures, and expect to have that completed by the month end.

This really is one of the best kept secrets in the Ford world! You could make these yourself and you are welcome to do so, however, don't expect me to cough up the dimensions.....! Of course then you may need to find a machinist friend, find metal stock, buy beer, and then wait..... OR, you can order them from me and be done with it, PLUS get instructions and pictures.

To sweeten the deal further, I will ship free to forum members that mention that they saw this on the Classic Cougar Forum!

So now you have it. Rear disc brakes for under or about $200. This is affordable to just about everyone!

Thanks for reading!
Steve
408-727-8678 eves
or contact me via email.
Interested to see if this is still available?
[email protected]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interested to see if this is still available?
[email protected]
I don't know how often Steve checks this forum but you can find his kit on Ebay:

Or by searching Ebay for fastmerc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts