Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 cat has a rear defroster in it, but I don't see it in the shop manuals as being in cougars. I was wanting to know the proper location for the control switch if indeed they did come with this option. The knob on the switch looks like it would match the knobs of wipers, etc and says defroster on the bracket. I didn't see any holes under the dash that looked factory for the bracket hole spacing. I can take pics if that would help. Any ideas??

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The defrosters only came in the XR-7s. The switch is located on the rocker switch panel on the dash. I can provide a picture if you need it. Standard cougars (69-70s) only had "dummy" lights in this area. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
This is from the 70 owners manaul. The switch is in the same location on a 69 std. Neal

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Lets try the scaned page a third time, 26b is the switch, it's just above the radio.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The rear demist switch goes in the same position as the top switch in a convertible for both std and XR7. For std it is hangs down above the radio, in an XR7 it is the 4th rocker switch across. For XR7 push top of rocker and you get high speed, push bottom for low speed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, wouldn't that mean that it will be on all of the time. either high or low?
Here is a pic of the switch that was screwed onto the bottom of my dash. It is a Ford switch with 3 terminals(H,L,B). The chrome trim ring says DEFOG on it even. Maybe it is not the usual 69 switch, huh.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I think that switch is used with the dealer instaled unit. Neal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts