Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the car and mine I think the best way and the least amount of work is to clip it . I will trim off the quarter skins and take the rear section from rear tail light panel , trunk floors and inner wheel houses , frame and all to where they section together by the rear seat floors .

I think this one move will be so much better then piecing it all together , It will maintain the proportions and measurements tighter at the same time . Then I can skin the quarters back on .

I managed body shops a long time and think the rear clip is the best idea . Any thought from the more experienced builders here . ```

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I would agree that is probably you best overall approach. Structurally it's stronger, and much easier to get things lined up right....I'd take very good measurements before and after of course - now I'm not sure that there may be slight differences in standard vs rag top though..? Currious as to what you find out on that? I wouldn't think so other than the interior part of it but wh o knows..? I'd still tack it up internally in a cross pattern to "hold" it together before the cutting starts as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think the idea is fine but it is not straightforward if the parts car is not a 'vert. There are major differences around the rear seat and top well area (obviously). I suppose one could still do it with HT donor clip, but it would have to be from below the top well. Like donor wheel houses and frame rails on back joining to existing on the 'vert.

·
Registered
199 Posts
post some pictures of what your wanting to splice. more eyes the better. might not really need a whole splice? I'm replacing a truck floor and taillight panel from a doner car. I'm going to try and do it in two pieces (maybe). the trunk floor and drops in one then the taillight panel. Then piece the quarters. Might be more work, but the floors and wheelwells are good?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey badcat I will have enough conduit to run a big house in it .

69 and grumpy I will be scoping out any major changes . Grumpy my outer wheel wells are bad so I figured just do em both since the donor is so clean . Bob I like the way you did your floor pan , so I think once every thing is cleaned out in the back will make doing the rockers so much easier .

Grumpy I will pick up the donor this Saturday so more planning is after that , but the pictures are a must if not to just study em while inside on here . Looking at any and all differences that may exist .

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did a similar "splice" with a '66 Mustang that was rear-ended while it was parked in the street. B-pillar cut, but leaving the rocker intact. Section cut near back seat across car(leaving extra metal around rear torque boxes), then cut top of windshield frame at lead line. Installed entire rear clip and roof as an assembly. Most difficult part was sectioning the rocker/quarter panel/quarter window spot welds. Took a buddy and myself an entire weekend,....gas welded all connections(clothes hangers for welding rod),..there were a few fires and a number of subsequent beer breaks, but it looked good when completed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
67 I am using the rear floor with tail panel and transition panel with the rails and both wheel houses for the rear clip . I am cutting the coupe to save the convertible , I have to drill out the inner bracing since they are different . It will take some time just to widdle everything out with out damage to other bracing and the package tray . I also want to save every thing off the coupe I can like the roof for some other car .

Still making a decision on where I an going to cut the quarters on the top , the coupe is a vynle trying not to damage that at all . The quarters coming off will help to get at the inner bracing to drill out the spots .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
being inquisitive as I am tonight I started the clip and what bracing it may involve . This is the bracing in the 70 coupe to the wheel houses .

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2381418720102070080kljtrw

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2329659980102070080ZOetMg

this is the 69 Vert bracing .

This brace on top of both wheel houses looks as though it was beaten down with a hammer at the factory .

So far what I see is the opportunity to strengthen the rear houses more then the factory did . Me personally see no issues with that .

Since all the strength went into the floors and rockers on a convertible , the clipping will add more strength to the rear of the convertible as it is now . ??

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The tops of the wheelhouses on 69/70 'verts are beaten down at the factory to make adequate clearance for the top frame.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Really! LOL, what a high tech approach....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HHmm maybe I can redesign it to look a little better , but if hammering works I do have a BFH .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts