Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to wrap up the brake overhaul I am doing on my 1969 XR7 S code. I have drums in the rear and power disc up front. Where I am is swapping out the rubber brake lines to SS lines that I got from WCCC. (Thanks Don)

The rear line that runs to the passenger drum needs to be replaced. It connects into the metal housing that is at the end of the rubber line I am trying to swap out. This line attaches into the rear axel where the breather tube is. Into the metal block that this line attaches the line for the drivers side also attaches. The nut on the fitting for the brake line is different for drivers side and passenger side. Passenger side 7/16, drivers side 3/8. The passenger side line is rusted to the nut where it goes into the metal block on the rubber hose. The whole tube twists when turned. Not allowing me to swap out the rubber brake line. Not good.

I called NAPA for lines this AM and they have preset lengths. 8", 12", all the way up to 51" and also 60". The lines are straight and I will have to bend them myself with a bending tool. Never done it but it can't be all that hard. I've already done the rear shoes, springs, cylinder and the front pads, calipers all hardware, and SS brake lines.

Does anyone know the length line I will need for this swap or should I just buy a few different lengths and return what I don't use?

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
913 Posts
This may not help, but why not measure what's you have now and buy a piece about that length. You can also buy the lines pre-bent from several vendors.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea, except I am at work right now and wanted to stop by NAPA during lunch before going home and thought someone here might be able to say the brake line is whatever inches long. I did end up ordering some prebent lines and will install it next week. Meanwhile I am planning on bleeding tonight just to get her running again. I miss driving her and am tired of her sitting. I will rebleed after the line install.

Thank you.
This may not help, but why not measure what's you have now and buy a piece about that length. You can also buy the lines pre-bent from several vendors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts