Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought the rear axle assembly home the other day. Still have the springs, tires and yoke on it. I want to start dis-assembly so that I can clean each part and paint it. Do I have to pull the yoke out of the front before I take the cover with the bumper off? Then I can pull the plate on the differential? As far as the axle bearing I guess they are alright? How would i know or should they just be replaced? Rear axles seals? same thing, they are not leaking now but car has basically sat for 20 years so I might not now if they leak or not. As the rear end is off the car seams this would be the time if i was going to replace them huh? I just received my shop manuel for the 1968's Maybe I will find this information in it. I haven't even looked at it yet. What other maintenance could I or should I do to the rear end? thanks

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Whenever you have a rear end apart always replace the seals and any part that has significant use should be inspected. Better to do it up right once while it's apart than to have a problem down the road that could have been prevented. Pat Price

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K, seals are a good thing, How would I tell on the bearings? I didn't drive the car enough to hear any noise. rolls nice as far as when I was moving car around. I want to pull the cover to the rear so as to clean and paint it. Where would I get a new seal for that and for the axles? in regards to a 28 verses 31 spline, the end of the axles are inset with an oval does that mean 31 spline? Also I just tore down the front spindles. I know I will need a new seal between the inner bearing and spindle the bearings don't appear to have any pitting how would i tell if they need replacing or just repacking? The car has 69 thousand miles on it. was plenty of grease in there. Seals on calipers were dry. Is there a rebuild kit for the 68 disk brake calipers?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Do both sets of bearings. You should be able to get the old rear ones off and new ones pressed on for around $100. The front's you can do yourself for under $50. Doing them now will eliminate any worries down the road. Seals are available at your favorite auto parts store.

Don't you have a small block car? If so, you should have an 8" 28 spline differential.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Naw it is a 390, 9 inch with a 2.75 ratio. Are the bearings on the axle shaft or do they press into the axle housing?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The 9" has the bearings pressed onto the shafts. I have the same set-up in my 73' which I just went through. I pulled the rear and had the bearings done on the carrier and axle shafts for $350 including parts. The axle shaft seals are about $4 each at most parts stores. Should be a 28 spline. Pat

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pat, Where did you go to have the bearings done?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
do not try to use napa seals on the rear---their too light weight and deform upon instilation---harvey---you should spend some $$ and purchase the factory manual and a set of the osborn assy books--you can't hardly do one of these cars without them
doctordesoto

·
Registered
913 Posts
Harvey, If if aint broke, don't fix it. You can remove the bumper plate with 3 bolts, clean and paint. paint the center section with a brush, replace axle seals only and let it ride, I would not even take it apart except if you want to drain the old gear oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts