Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for ideas to repair the area where my hood hinges mount to the rear aprons. There is not any rust on the apron; the holes that hold the 'nut-serts' for the hood-hinge are wallowed out. Help me pro/con the options or come out with ideas I haven't come up with yet.

A) Replace entire apron
I do not really like the idea of replacing the entire apron, but will do if needed. Just not like the idea of the implied work of drilling out the fender mounts, all of the spot welds, plus using anymore replacement sheet metal than needed.

B) Section out the mounting area from a new panel
Butt-weld or lap weld in only the 'nut-sert' section. This is the direction I am leaning. I 'think' that a properly done lap weld will be strong enough and only visible from one side (under fender). I understand that there is the risk of rust forming under the lap. But I am not sure a Butt weld will have the needed strength to deal with the stresses of the raising lowering the hood; prove me wrong...

C) Rig up some kind of weld to re-attach the 'nut-serts' to the existing apron. Not digging this option as the holes are pretty ragged out.

The hood opens as if nothing is wrong. But I know this is only going to get worse.

Thanks in advance.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I replaced he entire rear aprons on my '73 because of this... Problem solved!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Get a large washer with a hole big enough for a 5/16-18 nut to be welded flush in the washer hole and weld it in the washer. Then weld the flush side of the washer to the backside of the fender apron hole centered in the wallowed out space. In other words, the side of the nut that sticks out above the washer goes toward the wheel well side of the fender apron. Smooth out your welds, prime and paint.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Another option would be to cut out the nut hole part (that just sounds wrong :) )from a good apron and butt weld it into the original apron, smooth your welds and repaint. I don't think this is the best option because you still have the original poor design that will eventually fail (wallow out) again leaving you in the same situation a few years down the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh how I wish I could bring it to you! AZ to VA would significant drive up the cost of repair. I am starting to like the washer idea, it would still allow the option of a sectioned panel, then if that didn't work out, the option of replacing the entire panel. Now I just need to learn how to weld! I am a quick study.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts