Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought you guys would appreciate the heads up and story. Guys like this jerk on ebay piss me off.

http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19273

From the guy that bought it (not me):

The original plan was to wire the money to a family member who lives in Walbridge. Then, they could drive over and check it out and pay for it if it was in fact as advertised.

That plan went down the tubes when it ended up clashing with their plans to pick up family for Christmas at Detroit Wayne....anyhow, best plans of mice and men, I guess....

anyhow, the guy really did a number...even seemed astonished that I said the guy at the garage said the car needed a lot of repairs...."what repairs" was his response..

I thought checking out a car on ebay was a good idea at first, i've been doing lots of transactions there for almost 10 years and never had a bad experience. After assuring me that the car was in great shape and gorgeous, I followed through with the transaction. HOWEVER, the guy didn't tell me, he was not the account holder and it was not actually HIS feedback I was looking at until the end. Then I found out....told him i'd like my money back since he misrepresented the entire transaction and he as much as said....tough stuff....
all transactions are as is....your loss.....don't bother me again.

So, figured i'd try to resell the car, this time, actually giving a better description of the actual car and hoping someone needed a newer "crate 351" and may be interested.

I'm "almost 68" and was getting this for a family member who is is headed for Afghanistan right now and will be home in a year, I hope.....and I would have rather had something that didn't need much work....great plan but ...........great intentions, but..........

thank you for letting me "vent"...I needed that....BUT if you ever run across a guy named Dan Voss, 17161 Wing Rd, Chagrin Falls, Ohio....tell him he's a jerk....lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270678811342&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_645wt_1073

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
;>) Well Jay, at least you got the word out! To bad it couldn't have gone better. To be honest there were warning signs at least to me though: Looking through the pics and description - both were lacking seriously. In front of a house that car did not belong in front of - heavy rust bubbles on the upper fender apron, bad fitment on the rear valence....plenty of things that said most of it was eyewash. The description was very poor and sounded like he didn't own the car, was just selling it. (New hood for a bigger motor --?? WTF, did a 351w grow up over the last 40 years!) ebay can be a great place to buy things, and a great place to dump things. I'm truly sorry you came up a bit short. For the most part people are honest -- or just don't have a clue. Hindsight=20/20, but next time ask some opinions on the forums before you pull the trigger. Many times you will get a lead to a better car that isn't advertised on feebay! Otherwise you can let us pick it appart and make you more trigger shy! ;>) FWIW it doesn't sound like the worst deal - just not as good as we would hope.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its not mine..I am just forwarding from a post on the torino forum. I'd like to think I'd be more careful than that. There are a bunch of red flags, but I can understand where someone that isn't a car nut and wants an old mustang would miss some of the details and see a car that looks pretty good. In fact, the guy that bought it was purchasing the car as a gift for a relative that was shipping off to Afghanistan or something. Too many people that lack any integrity.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
It's tempting to put all the blame on the seller, but the fact is that someone who's almost 68 has been around long enough to know that people aren't always honest and sometimes are downright predatory. I can't understand why anyone would buy a car on trust. Heck, even when I bought CatVert from Don Rush, I had someone go look at it for me! It's a shame to have something like this happen, but the buyer owns this result almost as much as the seller does, IMHO.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
aahh - gotcha. Glad it wasn't you! I looked at the bidding history - I'd bet dimes to donuts the guy had 2 people bidding on the runnup (or 2 id's himself). Especially since it was no reserve. Most people who are going to buy generally don't buy until the last few seconds - why run it up? Shoulda been another clue. I have only bought one big ticket item on ebay, but personally I think it's still 80% the best place to buy sell. Craigslist is nice for stuff that is easy to move locally, but if you want a big audience there is no better alternative that I know of. And I am not a fan of the increasing fees!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Found my car on E-bay and it was being sold by a dealer. I was high bidder three times but car never met reserve. Decided as nice as it was to fly across the country to look at it. My gosh. What they can do with pictures. The car is nice but they did a lot of work with the pictures to make it look a lot nicer!! They even went so far as to paint the exhaust to make it look new! Both mufflers were blown out!!! I ended up buying the car and I love it but I paid less for the car including shipping than what the guys reserve was. I picked the car apart for about four hours then told him what my offer was and left. Next day before I got on the plane stopped by for one last look and he agreed to my price! I was really disappointed in the mis -representation but am still tickled I got the car!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I find all the time on ebay people selling stuff with all kinds of mistakes in the ad copy. I posted on here a few days ago a 72 cougar convert with a 429.
Now I realize that a 71-72 cougar are almost identical like the 71-72 mustang. But any ford nut is going to know the 429 was a 71 one year only option.
parts same thing. 67-8 cougar consoles. Major differences but some are advertised as the wrong year on ash trays,top pads,roll up doors ect.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well, as far as the 351W goes, to fit a 351W into a 65-66 Mustang you either have to lower the Motor by an 1" or Put a Cowl hood on it. It is sad to see things happen like this.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
There is a local guy that has a quisi junk yard where I went to look at a 429 Ranchero. He had a 70 T-Bird in the yard he said his buddy bought off Ebay. The car was so rotten his buddy just junked it. Of coarse the seller told him tough luck! You should have seen the chicken wire and bondo in that thing. First good bump and you would have lost half a quarter panel. I have been lucky so far. I have bought 3 cars off ebay. All of coarse looked nicer in the pics,but no big surprises other then the reversed and welded on 1-2 shift rod on the Cyclone CJ I bought from Golden Classics in Florida. All in all I guess I have done OK.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Mopardon, I was talking about Golden Classics too!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
the only person i know of who bought a car/body off fee bay was my cousin, he picked up a 69 std fastback a body donor for his 69 mach1 thats trash'd . he paid 6,500 , the car wasnt as advertised , but its also not needing tons of stuff either, although it does need a back panel and a lh 1/4 skin . but overall not bad. i dont know what kind of recourse he/she may have in this case, but i agree with some of the comments on the torino board. this is how we end with with GOOD parts cars .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts