Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner' manual doesn't give me anything other than tightening down the not on the bolt that joins the steering box to the linkage. Is there a tool that presses the two parts together? I'm having major resistance when turning the nut, and it has a good 1/4"+ to go - don't want the ruin the threads. I had no problem at all with the linkages to the spindles. Any thoughts?

Also, seems I can't find the bolts that were for the box. What's the bolt length, and are there washers between the bolt heads and the frame rail? Nuts on the bolt ends? Eric.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No nuts on the bolt ends, and yes washers between the bolt head and the frame rail, with the bolt head and washer located on the wheel well side of the car. For my 1970 gear box the bolt length for each of the three bolts is about 3.7 inches. Here's Brian's car showing his gear box mounted. If you've totally misplaced them you can check out amk products as they sell bolt kits for pretty much anything. http://www.amkproducts.com/Ford_Fastener_Kits.asp

1 - 2 of 2 Posts