Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one used Paul's Chrome Plating? Looking at getting a few parts re chromed. Not sure if it will cost me more that way or to buy them already ready re chromed?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
my experience is that its cheaper to by all done but like the vent window casting i purchased they didn't fit at all---i ended up taking the diecast front and quarter windows all apart and sending them to walkers custom chrome in lake shasta city---the 4 pcs were $150.00 ea but they fit when completed---other than valve covers , upper shock brackets and a couple of handles and knobs , i related what i had or had obtained

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Paul's = $$$

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it does sound like Paul's is real big money. Quite a distance from me also.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I called them for an estimate on a 69/70 rear bumper. They told me around $750. I said "click"<CLICK>.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Harv your stuff is almost perfect as is - so you may want to check around and see who shoots you the better deal since yours is plate and go with little/no fixing. That may be the better route. these guys did some work for a local resto shop here and he talks them up a bunch: http://speedsportchrome.com/ I don't know how competetive they are, but check a few places...let us know who you go with and how it turns out

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Badcat, I am going to look around maybe a little more local. Someplace I could drive to would be great! The prices at Paul's are very steep. Some of the stuff I think I can buy re-produced and be better off price wise. As long as the quality is and appearance is there.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Harvey, I had my cougar bumpers done ay Dynamic Custom Chrome. They do a lot of motorcycle custom stuff and mostly show pieces. They are not cheap, about 10 years ago I had both of my bumpers done along with my air cleaner cover and it cost me $1100.00. Can't hurt to call them and feel them out. My bumpers came out good and still look good today, I just choked on the price, but pulled the trigger anyway. Their in Detroit and I mean the ghetto, but there just a stones throw off of I-94 so not to bad. here's their website: www.dynamiccustomchrome.com

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I;ll checkem out

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TowCat.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used Paul's to re-chrome my '70 door handles. Was like $225. They have lifetime warranty on re-chroming pot metal. Take a picture of what you have,send it to them and they will give you an estimate. Some stuff they seem a little above average and some things are way out. I asked about my front bumper for '73 F250 Camper Special and they said $800.I said wow and she said but it's "show chrome"

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Paul's is expensive but everything I have gotten done there has come out in top shape. I am sure there are cheaper places, but buyer beware. I remember one shop that did not tape off the studs on my XR7 convertible hockey sticks, nor did they fill the screw hole someone had drilled on them. "We thought it was supposed to be there."

I don't get much done these days, but when I do I get it at Paul's. For me, it's not worth the hassle to go elsewhere. I am not sure, but I think platers go slowly crazy after long exposure to all those toxic chemicals.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I did talk to the folks at Pauls they said they also chromed plastic, I think I will send them a picture of the dash bezels and see what they say. That and my shifter bezel. Right now I think those are the two biggies. Of course I will need the bumpers and bumperettes but If I use mine as cores is that pretty much the same as having mine re-done?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to some one at Nu-Chrome in Ma. They quoted me 75 dollars a door handle and 400 for a bumper. This sounds reasonable. They also provide free FedEx from my location to their shop. Might give them a try.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just looked at Nu Chrome's site. Looks like they have two levels of plating. One level just uses nickel and chrome. The "show chrome" gets triple plated:copper,nickel & chrome. Didn't realize the copper plating was for rust protection as their site says.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts