Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys,

I have been trying to track down a rattle ever since I got this car. At first, that rattle was my only noise-related concern. Now it seems as if the rattle has been joined by a few friends. :rolleyes: Anyway, here is a rundown of my problems. Can anyone help me?

The Rattle

This thing is elusive. It is coming from the back of the car, and from what seems to be a few different spots, even though it is the exact same noise. I walked to the back of my car, and hit my bumper with my fist in various spots. This noise sounds exactly like the way the metal license plate sounds when it hits the bumper, so I secured the plate. Didn't help. Someone suggested that it may be a loose exhaust hanger...or two. Anyway, any suggestions of "common" problems back there that I could check for?

The Squeak

At first I attributed this squeak to bad shocks. I know they need to be changed, but this squeak is beyond shocks. It is loud, annoying, and very persistent. In fact, it is almost just one continuous sqeak coming from the front right side, right behind the firewall. I talked to someone who said that he is almost certain that it squeaks due to the fact that the upper a-frame needs to be lubed. He also says that doing so is a PITA unless you torch a hole through the fender wall or have a certain tool that screws on to the lube fitting and allows you to access it from a different angle. He said for the first time, since it doesnt seem like it has been done before, I should have it done and then, if I want, buy the tool he was referring to. Suggestions?

The Whirr

I noticed this particular noise 3 times. All of the times were when I was leaving my house, going up a slight incline and a curve at about 25 MPH. This sound can best be described as the sound that emits from a leaf blower motor. Just that loud humming noise coming from the engine compartment that stops when I come to the bottom of the hill. When I would hit the accelerator, it would stop, but as soon as I let off the gas it would pick up again. Any thoughts on what this might be? I know I don't have a leaf blower under my hood.:confused:

The "Click pop!"

I am not really sure how to describe this noise as anything other than a "pop" whenever I turn. It seems to be when I make relatively sharp turns at relatively low speeds. What is this noise, and what can I do to fix it? Is it something that needs immediate attention?

Those are my noise issues. They are bad enough on their own, but combined they are seriously making me crazy. Especially with only a one speaker radio to try and drown them out...it doesnt work too well. Any info is MUCH appreciated. :1zhelp: Thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just learn the lyrics to "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and sing along!

I'd check your brakes, all 4 corners... Look at any low-wear indicators for possible squeaks. You might even pull off your fron rotors or drums, depending on what it has... and check/service/lubricate wheel bearings.

Those are my only suggestions... I have a 68... car is too flarn loud to hear anything...

Ron.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think some headers, dulas and flowmasters will do the trick. You won't be hearing anything but a roar.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Alex,

The Rattle
Check the tortion bars that hold your trunk open. Start by wraping some tape around them. They will rattle if the little clip or rubber insulator is missing.

The Squeak
sounds like the upper a-arm to me. DO NOT CUT HOLES in the shock towers to lube them Have a compitent shop install right angle zerk fittings. You may also want them to put in new bushings at that time as they are most likly shot.

The Whirr
check out the power stering pump. Could be the water pump or alternater also.

The "Click pop!"
See The Squeak, I'm betting the front end is shot.

I think you may want to find a shop that works on cars like yours localy and have the front end inspected. You could use a local tire shop, but what I have seen from most I would not have them do the work on my cars. Good luck, Neal

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Hey Alex....sounds like your Coug is in the same basic state as mine....well when it was on the road that is.

My squeak was definitely the upper A and after a good greasing...the squeak went away.

The rattle sounds just like what I had happening and I found out the the rear drivers shock mount at the top had let go. The opening had enlarged and the shock just rattled away in the bigger hole. A little welding and a couple of nice large washers, retightened and voila....no more rattle.

I also had a whir under the hood and found I had air trapped in the power steering lines. Unfortunately, the whir had been around so long before I found it that it ruined the PS Pump. I picked one up at the wreckers and no more whirring from under the hood.

The pop.....well I didn't have that so I can't even guess on that. But hopefully the above will give you some things to look into....

Good luck quieting your Coug down.....

Dale

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ronzoni,

I checked the brakes not more than a month ago and everything looked great, so I know it's not that.

Navarro,

I do have duel pipes, and I was thinking it may be something in the exhaust system causing the rattling. A loose hanger perhaps. I will have to check that out if I can get it on a rack.

Gatorphan,

I wish I was the kind of person who could do that. An out of site (or rather earshot), out of mind kind of thing, I guess....But it would still bother me because I would still know the noises were there, you know? Plus, I dont want to ignore them and have them develop into bigger problems.

Badcatt,

That is a good tip on the rattle there. I will have to definitely check that out tomorrow and see if that helps. I was absolutely not going to cut holes in the shock towers...I could never do that to my cat. I will check around to a few different places and see what I can find. I heard that replacing bushings= BIG $$$ though. Just one thing after another... :( The whirr only occured twice, both times in the same place in my neighborhood, at about a 15-20 degree turn in the road. If it was a problem with my PS wouldn't it be a continuous noise?

Dalerivers,

I will give that a good shot and see if the lube does the trick. I am hoping it will. I will check the shock mounts tomorrow, and that is a very interesting problem there :/ Hopefully I will track that rattle down, but as of recently, that problem has gone from the top of my list, way down to the bottom.

Thanks for the help so far guys!:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Could the "Click pop" noise possibly be coming from the rear end? Does it have positrac or something similar? My old trans am has posi and the clutches in it were dry so it made a clicking and a poping noise on slow sharp turns. The solution.....change the rear end fluid.
hope that helps with one of the problems

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am 99% sure that the click pop is coming from the front end. I will check out the rear too though. Thanks for the tip :)

By the way, got any pics of that Trans Am? What year is it?

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you have disc brakes up front you may want to take a second look at them. The caliber is "floating" and held in place by guide bolts which rest in rubber grummets. The rubber grummets deteriorate over time to become non-existant. Then the calibers can move around too much and make banging noises. Most repair kits don't include those grummets. Stainless Steel Brakes have a full repair kit for the calibers. On my 69 XR7 I have silenced the driver's side by gluing pieces of fuel hose where the grommets should have been and the passenger side will soon be done in a similar way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Noises

We have a 69, 351W with dual pipes. I have a rattle in the back that is the exhaust hanger. One is tight, but the other is on with one bolt vice two. I did have a broken leaf spring that made a clicking noise every so often.
The squeak is the upper control arm bushings and/or the coil spring saddle. The coil spring saddle sits in the upper control arm and has a bushing that wears out over time. When we replaced it, I developed a click-pop sound that I believe is the saddle not being adjusted just right. I'll go in there, loosen it up a little and realign it so the spring and shock sit right.
I agree with the whirring being the power steering fluid.
If you buy new upper control arm bushings, get them with the grease fittings put in. CJ Pony had the ones I needed. I can't tell you how much it cost me to have my mechanic replace them because I had several things done at the same time, but it was around $225, labor only as I supplied the parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts