1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Very nice!!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
How rare is a 68 CJ coupe? I remember seeing a magazine article about one maybe 25 years ago. They said it was rare, but I forget the number. It had zero options other than the CJ and maybe a radio.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You could get any of the available options. They were not all built as base models. For Mustang the PDB option was mandatory with the 428 in 68 only. They made 221 coupes compared to the 1044 Fastbacks.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Very cool. I'm not much for Mustangs usually since they are so common, but that one has my respect.

·
Registered
902 Posts
There was a black 68.5 CJ coupe in my hometown (Newton, MA) in the late 1970's.

Very neat cars!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have never owned a Mustang, I have never quite understood why some Cougar owners dislike them, and why some Mustang owners dislike their brothers the Cougar. IMO

Cool piece, not my choice of colors, but a very nice car, for sure.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You could get any of the available options. They were not all built as base models. For Mustang the PDB option was mandatory with the 428 in 68 only. They made 221 coupes compared to the 1044 Fastbacks.
You're correct on the number of coupes produced, but according to MBTNs, there were 2097 fastbacks built and for anyone else that wasn't aware, there were 552 'verts built with the CJ in '68. John

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Really cool car, I like that it has the decor interior with headrests.

Of those 221 68.5 coupes, 12 of them were California & High Country Specials.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Very nice car! P.S. I know where the white 428 California Special is... It's alive & totally original right here in Wi. I'll post pictures of it at Road America when after I find them!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You're correct on the number of coupes produced, but according to MBTNs, there were 2097 fastbacks built and for anyone else that wasn't aware, there were 552 'verts built with the CJ in '68. John
Maybe the first figure (1044) didn't include Shelbys?

·
Registered
564 Posts
They made 34 68' R code Mustang convertibles. Not talking about Shelbys in regards to my posts on this topic.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
RR68, is that Sunlit Gold? Very nice looking car btw. The local Mustang club has a Maroon '68 R code fastback, but I haven't seen it in awhile. Also, this year I have seen a Red '68 R code fastback twice, but it was leaving the cruise everytime I was arriving. John

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Can you imagine walking into the dealership and ordering one of these cars? It must have been a really ballsy thing to do.

It is a beautiful car, and congratulations. But it is not the rarest of the rare... Now if it was Cougar with the 428CJ, in a GT-E or a G, then you are talking rare.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree Bill love my 68 R code Mustang in fact the favorite car it is a 4.30 geared 4 speed in Wimbledon White. The elusive R code 68 Cougar with a high axle ratio is on my bucket list. Have only found one but it was a mess.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True in all respects...I believe yes, Sunlit Gold. The story on the car is the guy bought it YEARS AGO, with a small block
in it and drove the heck out of it. Finally after about 15 years of owning it, someone in his inner circle pointed out it was
an "R" code. A little later down the road, with better finances in hand, it was game on. Full on resto and sourcing all the
correct bits and pieces (including motor and trans). I believe he tracked down the original motor and trans, the first owner
pulled them to go into a drag race car of some sort. He had the motor gone through by some Chevy guy who jacked it up,
it ran but it pinged and ran poor in general.
He finally brought it to Tom at FE Specialties, who did a proper rebuild, blue print and balance. A little hotter cam per the
owners request...runs nice, sounds very hearty. Tom is the FE guru so I'm sure the car is going to run as good as it looks now.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are you 428 Cobra Jet Forum Member McGuire (Eric) The car came out very nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts