Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, A friend of mine just bought a 67 XR7 G/T Dark ivy green with a black vinyl. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how many of these were made it is an S code 390 4 speed car and seems to be loaded with options the 390 needs a rebuild but other than that it is a really sweet car. thanks for any and all answers. Thanks, John

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sounds Like an XR-7 GT alright, all GT's had 390's.

Approx. 2,600 XR-7 GT's were made in 67 and another 5800 Standard GT's (non XR-7). For 1967 The was pretty much the high end Cougar.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
According to Cougar By the Numbers by Kevin Marti there were only 905 XR-7 390GT cars with a 4-speed transmission. Total production with this combination was 3,512. You can get a report from Kevin Marti at http://www.martiauto.com if you want a detailed list of the way the car was ordered from the factory and the production numbers.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
different cougars

They made different models of cougars, I don't know all of them as I am just getting into them myself. There was a standard Cougar, an XR7 which was a really fancy Cougar all luxury inside. Then they made a G/T package which was a high performance package, with a 390 cu. in. engine. And then they made the super high perfomance packages. So they made quite a few different Cougars, alot more than they did with mustangs.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The Standard Cougar came with all the "Standard Options" and the interior was a little bit more plain. Still really nice. The XR-7 came with a more luxurious interior, full set of gauges, different wood graining, different wheels, different emblems etc...
The GT option was the S code 390 motor with 4bbl carb.:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just a thought... 67 Mustang?? looks like a 68 to me............ this is a 67 i painted once, note the absent marker lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
it is a 67....

unless someone installed the side air vents on the front of the rear quarters(which I highly doubt)...67 was the only year for those ones...replacement fenders installed somewhere along the way are my guess to the absence of marker lights...PEACE

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
actually the red car is a 67 that i did the body and paint on for someone. it is a 67 and the whole front is off of a 68 that someone put there at one time. i actually just shaved the front marker lights to make it look correct he he he. and by the way..... those side scoops are a royal pain in the ass to remove.... i hate them. but i sure as hell got rid of the layers of paint that were under it. and even found the original color for that car under there too. ( it was seafoam green ) but the owner wanted it red. like all the others out there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
67?

Thats one of the reasons I fell in love with mine, The i967 was my email address before I got the convertible. The girlfriend bought me a 67 coupe, now shes my wife and she got me a convertible that is a 68.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess having your name as 1967 mustang and posting a pic of your 68 is a surefire way of getting all of the fanatics cranked up! I wouldn't have known the difference had someone clanged me over the head with the quarter vents! Neat cars all of 'em, especially since I'm the only Ford guy here at work with a 66 GTO owner and a 68 SS Nova owner as my two bosses. It is certainly my cross to bear. Ron. 68 std Cougar, 302, mid 13's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts