Mercury Cougar Owners banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have the "rare" Cougar sitting out front! Looking bad! ...no, I mean it looks pretty bad! But good! Still rare! Black on black on black loaded car!

Never saw the Boss..... otherwise I'd have it.....

fastmerc

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
What are the odd's of having a slew of stick Cougars???

I have four factory stick shift Cougars currently at my house. I had a 5th one back in April, but that one went to the worlds largest Cougar junkyard in the world.

Current stable:

1969 XR7 R code drag pack 4 speed.
1968 XR7 J code 3 speed converted to 5 speed.
1967 390GT standard -X-race car, factory 4 speed. Rolling shell. Sale pending.
1968 standard HT 289-2V 3 speed rolling shell. Salvage title, non vinyl top, 98% rust free. Hint, hint ECI's. For sale. $1600 obo.

West Coast Classic Cougar recent addition.
1970 XR7 convertible, 351C-4V 4 speed, 3.00:1 posi. Call Don Rush for parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Doug, thanks for the updates. Even the smallest tidbits can quench our thirst to learn more about your car. My dad spoke with one of the brothers from that popular picture where your car is up against the 68 Race Hemi Rettig Bros car. It turns out there distant cousins of my mom. So do you know what the result was of that race?:confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Boss 429 Cougar

As it turns out my quest for the right donor car moves on. Again I find
myself looking for a 69 April build hardtop cat. As for the results of Hemi
vs. Boss ....... I don't know for sure but I'd place my money on the Hemi
that day because the Boss run best of 10.20's and most likely closer to
10.40's. on average days.

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i have a very straight rust free 69 xr7 that is dated march 24 if that might work send me a pm. thx Mike

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put the fiberglass dash board out of the Schartman cougar into a '69 mustang years ago. I think I still have the "Eddie Schartman Jr." dash plaque that was on it somewhere up in the attic.

Herzog is right, it will take a very good dash pad for him to replicate, I remember thinking it was kind of amamzing that each thread stitch was detailed on it. There can't be much left of that car but memories from what I remember back in the seventies. I suppose you can take a lot of liberties restoring an old drag car that few people even remember.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Maybe I missed this or maybe I am just... I don't know a years worth of post on this car and no current post to be had? not even a **** cell phone pic? Sounds fishie.....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hey Doug, why don't post a couple pictures of the car as she sits now? It would sure satisfy many a curious member to see just what shape it's in now and to see what progress you have made on the restoration.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does anyone know what happened with this car? Seems to me to be pretty fishy, like said before, not even a celly pic... Determination to get a Apr date code... not to offend, but it seems to me that someone may have been trying to make a clone and call it real. Buy we all know what they say about opinions, and that is just mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes we are in the build at present. I have been working on the engine program and we are building an Eliminator Products Block with Kaase heads and Blue Thunder 8V intake. S&W has furnished all Moly cage and ladder bars. Strange is furnishing the Dana 60 with 40 spline 5.13s. We have 3 Liberty Toploaders and a McLeod clutch. Complete 2011 race schedule and sponsor list is Updated on Facebook profile named Eddie Schartman Super Stock Boss 429 Cougar. Historic pictures also posted there.

·
Registered
225 Posts
wouldnt it be odd if the yellow and black striped cougar down the street i grew up on sitting in an auto cocoon in the driveway that the owner wont uncover or speak of selling is a 429 car ...now i gotta see the vin

·
Registered
304 Posts
As it turns out my quest for the right donor car moves on. Again I find
myself looking for a 69 April build hardtop cat. As for the results of Hemi
vs. Boss ....... I don't know for sure but I'd place my money on the Hemi
that day because the Boss run best of 10.20's and most likely closer to
10.40's. on average days.

Probably to late now but mine would be perfect April 1st build Calif. rust free. Bought it in 1976 garaged since 1984.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yes we are in the build at present. I have been working on the engine program and we are building an Eliminator Products Block with Kaase heads and Blue Thunder 8V intake. S&W has furnished all Moly cage and ladder bars. Strange is furnishing the Dana 60 with 40 spline 5.13s. We have 3 Liberty Toploaders and a McLeod clutch. Complete 2011 race schedule and sponsor list is Updated on Facebook profile named Eddie Schartman Super Stock Boss 429 Cougar. Historic pictures also posted there.
Sounds great.

Link to FB group here

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Any updates on the car?

·
Registered
839 Posts
well, that makes sense, now that you mention it.

Also, what was the rationale behind replacing the Ford 9 inch with a Dana 60? I'm sure there had to be a mechanical advantage, but I'll be darned if I know what it was.
I read an old article about Butch Leal who received a Factory Prepped 69(I think) Boss 429 Mustang and kept Blowing the Pinions out of the Nodular 9" chunks. He Said as soon as he Switched to a Dana, he never blew another one. Maybe it became a common thing?(oops, not Factory Prepped. More like 'Factory Approved Preparation' as Ford sub-Contracted these Jobs)

81 - 100 of 100 Posts