Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Thanks Doug.

I wonder where a guy might find a set of those. Of if you could.
I suppose you'll have to answer that question sooner or later, huh? Or maybe you already have a set.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Good morning everyone;
I am still awaiting the right April build donor car...
I thought we determined earlier in this thread that finding an "april" donor car wasn't significant to the restoration :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
good luck finding the donor. like i said earlier, once the car is finished i'm guessing a reunion of this pic would a photographers dream!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am looking prefurably for the date correct donor. I will entertain others if one arises. When I finish getting the car back in shape I indeed plan to expose it as much as possible. I as much as anyone want to see the sun gleaming on it's Blue and Yellow paint once again !!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I looked at a solid 69 today, I was thinking of you. But it is a Oct 68 build date car. I think I'm going to get it and get me back in to a Cougar! Not much just a Decor intior, M code with out power train. But the deck lid, Hood and most of the sheet metal is great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am looking prefurably for the date correct donor. I will entertain others if one arises. When I finish getting the car back in shape I indeed plan to expose it as much as possible. I as much as anyone want to see the sun gleaming on it's Blue and Yellow paint once again !!!!!
You're a great American, Doug. Thanks for restoring this car and for the most interesting thread I've seen in a while.

Maybe bringing this historic race car back to life will also bring Fast Eddie out of seclusion for a Cougar event or two....

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I found this pic of the Schartman car advertising the spider wheels.
Super Groovie, man.

I actually bought a copy of this ad just so I could study the scoop dimensions on Eddie's car. May have to "mod" my boss 9 scoop a bit...
And, I'd like a set of the spider wheels too. Apparently, they were popular wheels. Al Eckstrand even used them on the military performance program cars...
Very cool.
How goes it on the Schartman car Doug?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Getting cold here...... Donor still needed. The scoop was "I am told" a 5" Boss race scoop. The car had the old Mopar Pro Stock scoop on it when Steve bought it. If your into making scoops make two, ol' Bessy here is going to be needin' one. As for the wheels. Motor Wheel made OE sport wheels. Magnum 500 to name one. Spider was not all that popular. Not near like a Cragar SS or a Keystone Klassic. But they indeed threw their hat in the ring for choices. The Fly and Flea wheels were the neat race wheels. In 73 Tommy Johnson Sr. hooked me up with the Motor Wheel deal and from then on I used Fly up until '86. A Fly is the original Pro Star. There was also a Magnesium Spider race wheel used in 71 & 72. The original Spider was heavy. Schartman's were 8" rear and 6' front.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
April 1969 built Cougar for sale

Doug - I do have a April 18th, 1969 Built Cougar for sale, VIN #9F91H5649xx. It is a standard Cougar - non-XR7 - no vinyl roof - no A/C car. Email me back if interested.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
uh... so what happened?
Apparently, Doug still believes that he wants an April car and he may have found one here.

Doug, let me see how well my scoop turns out. The cheesy repop boss 9 scoop I bought doesn't look like it will do 150, so I might jut go ahead and make a 5" replica of Schartman's for my car.

Anyone have any pics of the graphics of Schartman's car such as the 429 logo on the B pillar? I just can't make out the wording...

Bueller? Bueller?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
well, that makes sense, now that you mention it.

Also, what was the rationale behind replacing the Ford 9 inch with a Dana 60? I'm sure there had to be a mechanical advantage, but I'll be darned if I know what it was.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
any updates?

·
Registered
45 Posts
No updates to announce as nothing has been advanced. Waiting on Scott to get with me on the doner he has. Have been in Arizona once but he was not to be found.
Doug Herzog

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a question

I have a question about this whole thing. First off this article http://web.archive.org/web/20040302075515/http://www.competitionplus.com/04_16_2003/429s.html
claims that the owner of the second car lives in south carolina. Does anyone know what this article is refering to. And also how come we still have not seen any pictures of this car besides the old one. I am really glad you posted this article and i am so interested in it. I am young and I feel like this is the Goonies of cars. They were searching for a rumored pirate ship and everyone has been looking for 2 rumored cats. Simply amazing. Keep us updated this is awesome im gonna be dreaming about this blue and yellow cat "running" down the track

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's simple. That part of the article is incorrect. It was an assumption that it was in a collection. So that info is misleading. Now here is a puzzle. There is one car missing. Schartman had a clone with a 429 SCJ 385 series motor. This car was also a clinic car but with no fiberglass and no Boss, but paint matched to the race car. Also it was a true 70 model. Maybe....... MAYBE that is a car in some collection in South Carolina. But no evidence has been shown to support there even being a collection or who has the collection.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts