Mercury Cougar Owners banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks for comming fowards with this info

Hi Doug,

Thanks, For comming foward and putting all the rumors to bed on the Shartman Cougar!! I've spent a fair amount of time trying to track down this Cougar. I got a lot of my info from Frank Druse and others, but never had a for sure story on what happened to it. I tried to put the pieces together the best I could. Wow!! I'm still kind of stunned that this Cougar is still around!! You have a real piece of Cougar history. Would you share some pictures of it's current condition? I for one would love to see it in it's current condition. It would also help us to help you out on what avenue to take in restoring the Cougar.
Another option might be to leave it in it's current condition and use it as a model to make a clone. I think it would be a big hit at a car event to have the orginal Shartman Cougar and nice done up clone sitting next to it!
Feel free to give me a call Doug. I would love to talk to you about Shartmans Cougar. 269-781-0454

Thanks..I'll have a smile on my face to rest of the day...:)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The cat I had in mind is not in good enough condition to use for your resto project. You'll have to definitely find a western desert car or something like that since all the ones I've found have at least some rust in them somewhere, sorry to say...

I have the dashpad from my 70 laying around. If you can use it to make the glass mold, I'll be glad to send it to you. It's got a crack in the speaker area, and isn't perfect, but I'd planned on replacing it anyway...

And, I'd love to have a glass dash to add to the racy look of my car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dash info....... Not only will I need a "good" pad I will need the gauge bezel and glove box front to make a completed dash. The reason I say "good is because any imperfection will be molded and then inturn in my finished product.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Boss 9 Eliminators

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the car(s) leave the factory as '69 R codes? They got the Boss 9 transplant & were raced as '70 models, right?
Chris---All the information you need. My one Boss 429 was produced right behind these, Car number 1688.
Frank

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Wow Frank, that's cool info!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
What a cool piece of Cougar history, Frank. Thanks for posting this. :wave:

Is it known which car went to which racer?

Regards,

Chris---All the information you need. My one Boss 429 was produced right behind these, Car number 1688.
Frank

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Wow what a great thread...

Here is my contribution ;)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/359391262.html

This guy has been trying to unload this 69 body for 4 months.. Started at 2k. Check it out. I hope it helps. Hes only asking 750 bucks no motor but does come with a trans and I think the body is solid. I havent had eyes on this car so someone will want to confirm for you.

Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Awesome artifact, Frank

What an extraordinary document!

I've got one word for that: Provenance!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Wow what a great thread...

Here is my contribution ;)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/car/359391262.html

This guy has been trying to unload this 69 body for 4 months.. Started at 2k. Check it out. I hope it helps. Hes only asking 750 bucks no motor but does come with a trans and I think the body is solid. I havent had eyes on this car so someone will want to confirm for you.

Good luck man.
I have looked at the car and actually have an offer in to him. He's holding out for more money so we'll see. Just so you know, it's not much of a body donor. The driver's side "C" pillar and upper quarter panel is totally hammered. Both lower quarters have issues. The interior is filled with junk so I couln't get a good look at it. I don't think it can be restored. I'm looking at this as strictly a parts car, I don't think it's restorable so it probably doesn't make much sense to use it as a donor body. I don't know where he gets the new paint thing because the paint is horrible and looks old. Doors are rusted and have bondo. The rear window area is rusty and this car used to be a vinyl top car. Console is missing. I tried to look in the lower quarters from inside the trunk but there are a couple of trannies and a bunch of other junk in there and I didn't feel like unloading it all to see. I'm sure the floors have issues since the windows aren't totally up and it's sitting outside, uncovered.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Wonder if Frank has the whole packet of papers?

What a cool piece of Cougar history, Frank. Thanks for posting this. :wave:

Is it known which car went to which racer?

Regards,
Don Nicholson got 9F91R567773.

Don paid $1, and had to sell it back to Ford for the same $1 at the end of one year.
Term of sale was for one year. May 9, 1969 through May 8, 1970.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

Don paid $1, and had to sell it back to Ford for the same $1 at the end of one year.
A dollar!:eek2:

What I wouldn't do to be able to buy it now for a buck:evil:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Vin#

Looks like Shartmans Cougar is vin# 9F91R567772

Where did you get the info on which car this vin belong too?

Hey Doug, told you Cougar people are more helpful...:1poke:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Don got which one??

Actually Don received the first one. 9F91R567772. That's the one that Ed Meyers has.
Frank

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow. this thread is the reason i have become a member! so, hello everyone!

to the thread. I have always had an interest for the 2 Boss 429 Cougars ever since i learned of their existance 5 years ago. for the longest time there was very limited info (on the web) so there wasnt much to learn. i guess this thread has now blown the virtual cover off everything!

first off, congrats on owning one of the rarest musclecars ever built. the fact that Schartman car was revealed this year, i would call it the greatest "find" in the year 2007.

Herzog_Racing, are you familiar with this photo?

the reason i ask is that my dad has talked with the car in the far lane, and yes, the Jenkins & Rettig Bros Dart still exists! perhaps this is old hat and EVERYONE knows that. anyways, i think a reunion of this great photo would be a site to behold!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes I have seen this photo. Actually there are not many photos taken of the Schartman car because it was a clinic car and not a legal Super Stocker. It was more of a Pro Stocker or better yet an exhibition car of it's day due to it's Fiberglas components and the 2 four barrel modified Boss 429. The car was modified to a 70, painted, and lettered before Eddie received it in late 69.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Herzog,
Do you have any updates on your project?

Also, do you know what those wheels on Eddie's car in the picture are called?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good morning everyone;
I am still awaiting the right April build donor car. The wheels were manufactured by Motor Wheel Corp. Called Spider mags. Motor Wheel went on to make Magnesium Fly's which looked like modern day pro stars.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Awsome Doug! Do you have any pics in current state? I can not get the pics to download from the magazine article? Keep us posted. Geoff.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts