Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys - don't know if you heard about that "rare" 1970 Cougar that was found in a farmer's field in California a while back.

Once they pushed an ugly beater Mustang aside - someone scored a really nice 1970 Cougar! It will make a great car for someone!

You couldn't have paid me to take a Green "Moo-stang" - but hey I would have paid big $$ for that Cougar. I dig the RH racing mirror.

Did someone here buy the Cougar?

Here are a few photos - enjoy!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Moo Stang

Hey Scott----You mean that 1969 Black Jade Boss 429 project car that was sitting under a tarp for twenty five years. I offered $150,000 for it and haven't been contacted yet. They are waiting for bigger offers.
Frank

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cat is out of the bag

Darn - you spilled the beans on this one...

I wanted to see how long it took before some of the un-knowing Cougar folks actually noticed that the beater Mustang was a rare Boss 429 car....

Wouldn't it have been amazing, if the 1970 Cougar was actually one of the 2 Boss 429 Cougars made, being even rarer than the Mustang?

Well, don't give up on your dream of finding that rare find in a field, barn or where ever.......

·
Registered
784 Posts
I thought the two boss elims were 69s??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Boss 429 Eliminators

They were built as 69's and then Schartman and Nicholson turned them into 70's for the 70 race season.
Frank
Schartman's car

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
WOW check tha hair cut LMAO

·
Registered
784 Posts
damn, that's a big hoodscoop...so I'll play dumb here and assume the whereabouts of both are unknown???

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
The stuff is out there. There is a Black 429 car with no motor maybe 20 miles from here....heard of another black 429 about 50 miles from here...sat in a field...now in a barn I guess, the guy that knows where it is would not tell...go figure... I know the town that it is in...but that is it. Know of one other B429...but that one is nice..70 Calypso...and hardly has seen the light of day in 30 years...+ all the other goodies that I know of and cannot afford or they will not sell. Keep looking guys...you never know what you will find...

·
Registered
698 Posts
The whereabouts

damn, that's a big hoodscoop...so I'll play dumb here and assume the whereabouts of both are unknown???
Ed Meyers the Boss 429 guru in Indiana[sold his 69 Boss 429 at Barrett Jackson for $605,000] has what's left of Nicholsons and here is a link to the boss 429 site and they say that Schartmans car has been found. I had a call from a guy in Mo. about five years ago claiming to have found it. He had the trunk lid.

Boss 429 registry

·
Registered
784 Posts
damn, that's craziness...makes me want to go looking for more barn finds like Elimicat and save em all

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like a 69/70 Marauder or Ford XL next to the Mustang
someone has good taste.:D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Boss Cougar

Ed Meyers the Boss 429 guru in Indiana[sold his 69 Boss 429 at Barrett Jackson for $605,000] has what's left of Nicholsons and here is a link to the boss 429 site and they say that Schartmans car has been found. I had a call from a guy in Mo. about five years ago claiming to have found it. He had the trunk lid.

Boss 429 registry
I spent a lot of time in 2005 hunting down rumors and leads on Schartmans Boss 429 Cougar. I got info from the guy that owns Schartmans Maverick, Phil Parcels along with Jim Pinkerton, Royce Peterson, Dave Wyrwas and you. Here is the e-mail I wrote to Phil in 2005 that summerized what I found out. The closes I got to talking to Eddie was his secretary. Basically he doesn't care about his past life as a racer. The guy that owns his Maverick had lots of info on his racing history campaining other cars as well.

Phil,
>
> I never got a chance to talk to fast Eddie. Basically, he's a
> millionaire and enjoying the good life and doesn't care about his
> past racing history. The last creditable lead I got was from the
> owner of Fast Eddie's 429 Boss Maverick. He met with Eddie to get a
> signed letter verifying the maverick, and ask him what he knew about
> the Boss Cougar.
> This is how the latest story goes.
> Eddie sold the Boss Cougar to a race shop in Indiana in the mid 70's.
> They ran it a couple of time and viewed the Cougar as being to heavy
> and the chassis out dated. They removed all the drive train to
> install into a Mustang chassis and all the other usable race parts
> were remove, sold or used on other cars. The Cougar was stripped down
> to nothing more then a bare shell with only the trunk lid remaining.
> It was then parked in a gravel pit located behind the shop with other
> various scrap metal. The pit was covered with dirt and that is where
> it remains.
> Of course the only way to verify this story to be true or false is to
> find the pit, dig out the Cougar and find something on it to ID it as
> being Fast Eddies Boss Cougar. So, this is just one of many other
> stories, but it's the one I find most creditable at this point.
> Dave Wyrwas offered to bring a shovel and help dig if I get the pit
> located..lol
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Carpenter

·
Registered
784 Posts
hell, I'd join in the digging just to see the car!

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Back in '79, my buddy Terry bought a '69 Boss 429 drag car with a blown-up engine for $2600. Only 2600 miles on it, too. Motor had swallowed a valve at high-rpm and then the carnage pieces-parts started flying across the intake, sucked into the other cylinders, and damaged four combusion chambers. The original car had been totalled when it was only two months old, and rebuilt using a donor body shell, and then turned into a drag car. It was even in the Cleveland Autorama back sometime in the early '70s...

Besides the complete Boss motor, it came with a spare set of NASCAR heads, a bushel basket full of spare pistons, valves and connecting rods, a rare FoMoCo aluminum dual quad intake, and a pair of magnesium valve covers not the normal aluminum.

It took us a year, but we did a backyard resto back to as close to stock as we could considering the missing air cleaner, exhaust manifolds and emission bits, except Terry used the dual quad intake on the motor...

Last year he was offered $100k for the car as is, but he turned it down... I think the car has something like 8700 miles on it now...

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
Darn - you spilled the beans on this one...

I wanted to see how long it took before some of the un-knowing Cougar folks actually noticed that the beater Mustang was a rare Boss 429 car....

Wouldn't it have been amazing, if the 1970 Cougar was actually one of the 2 Boss 429 Cougars made, being even rarer than the Mustang?

Well, don't give up on your dream of finding that rare find in a field, barn or where ever.......
I saw those faint markings behind the wheel opening, and just thought, naaaaa, its an old clone in a junkyard. THAT'S why the guy doesnt care about the mustang.

I had long heard that one of the Boss 429 cougars (in Indiana) was literally cut in half. I first heard about it in late 80's early 90's.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You would think it wouldn't be that hard to locate the shop and gravel pit behind it, but who knows? Maybe there's a Wal Mart on it now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shartman Boss 429 Cougar

Pictures of Boss 429 Shartman Cougar

http://racingjunk.com/gallery/profile/14447

http://www.racingjunkrides.com/view_ride/1740/

I am tired of the hear say..... Anyone interested in the truth of where the car went and what happened to it, I will be happy to tell you. The car has had three owners since new. We are the third owner and purchased it in 1974. It is in fact in very poor condition and I need an April donor car to restore it. Any and all help will be much appreciated. I have many pictures of the car. Car owner then Steve Comstock. Crew chief Doug Herzog.

Doug Herzog
[email protected]
www.HerzogRacingEngines.com
636-456-9006

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Pictures of Boss 429 Shartman Cougar

http://racingjunk.com/gallery/profile/14447

http://www.racingjunkrides.com/view_ride/1740/

I am tired of the hear say..... Anyone interested in the truth of where the car went and what happened to it, I will be happy to tell you. The car has had three owners since new. We are the third owner and purchased it in 1974. It is in fact in very poor condition and I need an April donor car to restore it. Any and all help will be much appreciated. I have many pictures of the car. Car owner then Steve Comstock. Crew chief Doug Herzog.

Doug Herzog
[email protected]
www.HerzogRacingEngines.com
636-456-9006

Thanks for sharing the story & good luck in the resto.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts