Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 with a 302. I had a problem starting about 2 months ago where I'd try to start the car and it wouldn't even try to fire. I'd come back several hours later and it would crank for a bit, then fire up. Eventually I found the coil was the problem. Replaced it, and it ran perfect, started instantly for about a month. Then this morning it wouldn't start, wouldn't fire. No it's not flooding, I pulled a plug out and checked and it wasnt soaked or fouled. I replaced the coil again and it wouldn't start, after cranking for about a minute it started and restarted fine. No the key is not being left on. The points were installed 4 years ago. This car is a daily driver, so I'm wondering if theres something else I'm missing?? It'll run fine for a few weeks, then won't run at all. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
XR7? Sounds like a classic tach failing problem.....otherwise I'd start checking all connections from starter to solenoid including battery and block grounds for clean/snug

·
Registered
913 Posts
With these old cars, there are only a few things that keep them from running, fuel,spark and compression.
When she take a spell not to fire, check the squirt for fuel in carb., if you have plenty, then check for a good spark at the plugs, one of these has to be missing in order not to fire. Check the gap on the points, they can close up over time, I had to reset mine just the other day.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I would change the points and condenser. The maintenance specs for these cars recommended replacement of these every 12 months. If you are using the car as a daily driver it is probably time. Do the rotor as well and inspect your distributor cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts