Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have a few questions of this ram air unit.
Where can I find ford part numbers?
How can I secure the top lid to the base? Are there special bolts and nuts fit into that 4 holes? 20111201130.jpg

Are these 2 small hole for drain water? 20111201153.jpg 20111201140.jpg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Do you have a picture of the inside of the base? There should be mountings on the inside if this is the original base.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes ,I have picture. This supposed to be the original base.
I have never seen base with the mountings inside. I was searching on the net but did not find any pictures with mountings inside the base.
That is why I asked. I have seen mountings outside on the shaker base only. 20111201127.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is in very good shape but was not so cheap. The complete unit was $1300 included the rubber seal.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would have a few questions of this ram air unit.
Where can I find ford part numbers?
How can I secure the top lid to the base? Are there special bolts and nuts fit into that 4 holes? View attachment 28620

Are these 2 small hole for drain water? View attachment 28618 View attachment 28619
OK, there is nothing that holds the top lid on the base, the three holes are drain holes, also the one inside the base is for same.
The lid should have a tab on the front hanging down with a U shaped cut-out, this cut-out goes over the metal curved pipe in the front of the base for alignment, once you have the rubber seal on the lid, the hood will press against it and hold the lid in place. I have pic. if you need.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Ouch! But, if you need one, I guess it was a good buy. Original pieces, are just that, and add value to the car...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, there is nothing that holds the top lid on the base, the three holes are drain holes, also the one inside the base is for same.
The lid should have a tab on the front hanging down with a U shaped cut-out, this cut-out goes over the metal curved pipe in the front of the base for alignment, once you have the rubber seal on the lid, the hood will press against it and hold the lid in place. I have pic. if you need.
Thanks, I would appreciate the pic.
Hmm... There is nothing that holds the top lid? What is the purpose for that 4 holes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry,I think I misunderstood what you wrote. So, that holes on the top lid ( 1-1 on the sides 1 on the front and 1 at the rear) are drain holes?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I too have wondered how that was held on. Could never tell with all the pictures i have seen. Always wanted to convert mine to Ram Air. Came across a web site that repos them but the base is fiberglass and the door is missing. He said it's better to have air coming in all the time. If the 351 base is the same size as a 428 maybe you could piece the repo stuff to make one work. So yeah i to would like to see some pics.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would be glad to E-mail someone the pics, and you can post them if you like, but for now I have not figured out how to post pics. Need a E-mail address for pics.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I too have wondered how that was held on. Could never tell with all the pictures i have seen. Always wanted to convert mine to Ram Air. Came across a web site that repos them but the base is fiberglass and the door is missing. He said it's better to have air coming in all the time. If the 351 base is the same size as a 428 maybe you could piece the repo stuff to make one work. So yeah i to would like to see some pics.
NPD and other Mustang part houses sell the flapper doors and actuators. The Ford Ram Air site sells fiberglass lids and I also noticed he didn't sell the flapper doors. I have been working on plans to make a 2x4 version. A lot of fab work and not certain if there's room to fit it. But thought it would be different and kinda cool if it does.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The lid just sits on the base as already stated, the holes are for bolting the top lid to a shaker assy, I think they all have those holes I wouldn't worry too much. The base indeed looks like a 428 piece, the 351 base is totally different.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
What i was thinking of doing was using my base then finding a lid, seal and flapper plate and then modify it all together, but my base is 17 1/2. So that won't work well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The lid just sits on the base as already stated, the holes are for bolting the top lid to a shaker assy, I think they all have those holes I wouldn't worry too much. The base indeed looks like a 428 piece, the 351 base is totally different.
What kind of K&N air filter do you have?
I bought a # E-1560 filter. It fit perfectly but I think your filter is more effective without the inner lid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How tall is your air filter itself without this lid? My K&N filter is 3" tall. I think it would be tall with this open element lid. I am pretty sure that the top of the lid would touch the flapper vacuum motor. :(

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How tall is your air filter itself without this lid? My K&N filter is 3" tall. I think it would be tall with this open element lid. I am pretty sure that the top of the lid would touch the flapper vacuum motor. :(
If you spent a zillion dollars on a rare air cleaner piece (which apparently you did), I would think you want to use a stock (or at least stock dimensions) air cleaner element.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts