Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 69 XR7 for two reasons - 1. I needed another project and 2. I wanted a car that my wife could drive to shows, cruises, etc. Wife is pretty small - barely over 5 feet tall and I doubt if she hits 3 digits on the scales. Unlike me, she really can still fit into her high school clothes!

I have the interior stripped for restoration, so now is the perfect time to get the car set up for her. One thing I need to do is to raise the seats an inch or two so she can see over the hood. Is there an inexpensive and safe way to do this without screwing up the adjustability and support? I was thinking about getting some 1x2 steel channel, bolt the seat to the top of it, then bolt the bottom of it to the original holes in the pan. Would this work?

Also, is there a good and safe way to adjust the pedals so she can better reach them, or should I just make some detachable blocks for the brake and accelerator pedals?

Any other ideas, suggestion, comments, pictures??? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if you are going to do this , make sure it reversable--i'd use 1x 2 .083 wall rect tube---drill the up side for the seat and seat nuts and weld bolts(stud)to go thru the floor and use stock mounting hardware--the other option is finding a narrow power seat that could be reupholstered in a cougar pattern so that any one can drive it--i used 2001 prelude in our 67
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Here is what the dealer would have sold you back in the day.

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang Seat Extension Kit - Used
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: Seatextender
Price:$24.75

This dealer option was installed for people who were not comfortable with the height of their seats. This same kit was used one many intermediate Ford Products from 1965-1973. One kit does one bucket seat or one bench seat. These usually will have some amount of...
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I took a day off yesterday, went to Lowes and bought 4 pieces of 1-1/4 x 1-1/4 x 36 steel angle for about $25. Cut to same length as current seat runners, drilled to accept current bolts on one piece and staggered holes for new bolts on other piece to go thru floor. Laying on its side with opening on inside for aesthetics, bolts are relatively easy to get at and the seats will be raised about 1-3/8" over standard. . Bolted the two L-shaped pieces together to form a U-shaped channel.

Staggering the floor mounting bolts towards the back also enables the seat to go forward another 1-1/2" so my munchkin of a wife can reach the pedals and the seat still goes back far enough for me (5'10") to be comfortable. Now I have so much room under the seats, I'm thinking of mounting a hidden stereo and CD changer under the passenger seat!

The nifty little kit of longer bolts and spacers would have been easier and quicker (took me about 3 hours), but not as much fun as fabbing up my own! Thanks again.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts