Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right term or not, BUT I am looking at possibly removing the rain gutters on my car. They are those two little grooves that run over top of the doors. Has anyone else done this???:1zhelp:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I still have a vinyl top and have not done this but it is a very popular custom trick with the leadsled crowd. It would really smooth off the roofline. I believe you can expect for the water to run down the sides of the roof when it rains.

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Canada we get sun or snow. No middle ground :D

I'm trying smooth out the look of my Cat. I thought of shaving off the gutters and door handles. I was hoping to see this done.

·
Registered
889 Posts
This months Hot Rod mag has step by step directions to remove he rain gutters I'm thinking of that too but I like the chrome trim who knows I'll decied when I get there

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i like the idea i love seeing rodding being done on our model cars and our years. although i too like the chrome and will not be doing it on my clone i am shaving the doors and doing some other rodding tricks. i say go for it. do it in plastic first though buy a model and do it in there its a whole lot cheaper than doing it and thinnking i dont like that. Remmeber any one can restore it takes a real man to cut it up!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great idea about the model.

I'd like to 2nd that AMEN!!!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I myself am planning on cutting the rain gutters off my 70 hardtop and smoothing it out.As well as may take a chance and suicide the doors as well.Plus im gonna put a full custom leather interior in it as well.With the exception as to using some billett alum. pieces around the instrument clusters
thanks
pat

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My plan isn't quite that in depth. I just trying to smooth out the look. I was planning on shaving the door handles, and it has expanded to include the the rain gutters. I may remove the chrome around the wheel wells to see how it looks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sudgestion

I think you should pick up the Hot Rod book there is some welding involed and the name of some good fillersto use.There could be some flexing and the filler will crack among other bad stuff.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the book last night. Thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts