Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some tec. info,.....just about ready to replace the ragtop on the 69, not too many articals in Mustang monthly or Mustang and Ford mags. if you have any good advice or know of a thread give me a hollar.:1zhelp:

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm pretty handy with my 70 XR7 ragtop but when it came to my top I had a PRO do it cost in New York $850.00. It was worth It.:D STEELCAT

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ONE OF THE JOYS I GET OUT OF MY CAR PROJECTS IS TO DO AS MUCH OF THE WORK THAT I CAN, I SPEND MORE TIME RESEARCHING THE PROJECT THAN I DO ACCOMPLISHING THE PROJECT.;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I feel the same way you do I've been working on my 70 XR7 ragtop since nov of 1999. I hope to get my cat on the road this year.I saw a pro put a ragtop on a classic caddy you do NOT get a 2nd chance to do it right.I wanted my top to be perfect I could not take that chance.If you choose to take this on I wish you the best of luck:D STEELCAT

·
Registered
2 Posts
A good book that goes over the process very well is "How to Restore Your Collector Car" by Tom Brownell. It shows how to replace mustang top (which should be the same). I replaced the top and rear glass on my 73 Cougar. It came out pretty good, not completely pro looking but good enough (I was short on money and the top was in bad shape). As with everyone else, if you can afford it, have a pro do it, if not have lots of patience, my 4 hour project took 4 days. I'm not a gearhead or upholsterer, so it can be done. Best advice? Just like cutting wood, its better to cut too long than too short. Also, I got my top and glass from Ken's Cougars for $340 or so. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

THANKS FOR THE HELP, I WILL TRY TO FIND THE BOOK. I ALLREADY HAVE THE TOP , I GOT IT FROM CLARKSON COUGAR WITH THE PLASTIC CURTAIN AT A VERY REASONABLE PRICE, NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS WAIT FOR THIS TERRIBLE NW WEATHER TO GET BETTER, I AM THINKING JUNISH.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts