Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
yes they were offered and no you can't buy one! i have the only one i have ever seen for a cougar but the parts book lists three different kinds. there is a plain black camera case, a rosewood, and a burl walnut one. mustangs are available in black camera case, walnut, and teak. also note that 69 does not say anything on it but 70 says cougar or mustang. i can't imagine that there are many cougars without the radio and i have never seen another but i have the original fender without an antennae hole and the block off plate so i guess i am lucky! hawkrod

·
Registered
965 Posts
According to Kevin Marti, there were approximately 2500 69's built with the radio delete's. My son just bought one which also has the no hole front fender. His, however, had a dealer installed radio with a very rare dealer installed factory antenna on the passenger rear quarter. These are more quirks than rarities, it seems. Cougrrrman also has a radio delete car. Maybe he has a comment.

Jim

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have seen the radio block off plates on ebay quite often.
They are not that expensive, either. There were several radio variations in 1969, being the am fm, the am 8 track, am radio, and no radio. Most all cars had at least the am, a 63 or so dollar option. Then the am fm and am 8 track models were much more rare. Having a car with a radio delete is more of a quirk then a rarity, and while interesting, I can't see why you woudln't want a radio in your Cougar. Thats why only 3% of buyers in 1969 chose not to spend the extra money on a radio. The reason few of these cars exist today is because many of them were very low option cars, and were junked and not considered worth saving. Also, not having a hole on the fender is not just for radio delete cars. My 69 XR7 had the antenna installed on the rear quarter panel just behind the roof from the dealer, therefore no hole on the fender. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i guess what i typed and how it reads are two different things! i was trying to be funny. the radio deletes are out there and the last mustang one on ebay went for 350.00 i have not seen a 69 cougar one for sale but i look every day. and as far as why anybody would want one goes i can certainly address that one. on my 428 4 speed standard 69 cougar listening to a radio would be a disctraction! and besides the radio would clash with the spartan nature of the car which does not even have a remote drivers door mirror! did i mention 428 4 speed??? my car is an old SS/E race car and was purpose bought without extra weight. it even came with hubcaps! LOL hawkrod

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE

The reason I am looking for a block off plate is to cut and put in a modern CD player. I don't want to cut any of the Original stuff so I thought that this would be an easy out, but looks even harder than cutting the original. Guess I'll have to do some more thinking.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you're looking to add a cd palyer to your car without butchering stuff, I recommend secret audio ss cd player system. It operates by a remote and a lcd you put the glovebox. Check out www.customautosound.com for more information. It's rather expensive, but worth every penny of that in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Another Option...

I just replaced a stock-type radio in my 1970 with a DIN-type radio. I chose to cut the bezel, knowing that if I ever (probably won't) go back to stock, I can replaced the bezel for about $35.

The DIN chassis fit the stock opening perfectly, and only required me to make two cuts on the bezel; one at the top, and one at the bottom of the radio area.

When the key is off, the motorized faceplate closes, giving the appearance of a "radio delete" faceplate.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Re: RE

69windsor said:
The reason I am looking for a block off plate is to cut and put in a modern CD player. I don't want to cut any of the Original stuff so I thought that this would be an easy out, but looks even harder than cutting the original. Guess I'll have to do some more thinking.
if that was your plan then a delete was not a good idea anyway. they are shaped differently and are angled at the front instead of having a flat area like the radio faceplate. cutting a radio faceplate is a much cheaper idea because you can buy those easily and they are cheap compared to a delete plate. hawkrod

·
Registered
965 Posts
Both options are better than trying to find a delete plate. The secret audio allows you to keep the original appearance while modernizing your audio setup. Cutting your bezel or buying a used one on Ebay to cut is a cheaper alternative. Either one is a good choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to get a used one so I won't have to cut mine. One the subject of car audio, is it a 6x8 or a 6x9 in the dash?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Note:
Radio delete cars and their respective factory delete faceplates are a very rare option, specified by the buyer, and not just interesting but highly desireable. Like an Eliminator, a GTE, or any other rarity that is not like everyone else's car, a factory radio delete Cougar is RARE indeed. The drivers rt. front fender is equally rare and virtually impossible to replace. Remember, rarity means very, very few made and still existing. This is the where the value and interest for the hobbbiest lies as well as simply owning and driving these great Cougars of ours.

·
Registered
488 Posts
for those that have never seen one, here is the radio delete from my car. i tried to take a picture in the car but it was just a dark blob so i pulled it out (it is only two screws!). this is a rosewood one from a decor interior. i assume a burlwood one for an XR-7 would be really rare and i have never seen one. hawkrod

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts