Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
Any Mustang parts dealer should have a reproduction radiator in stock. Three core was original. They make a four core repro also. I have four cores in two of my crs. One is a Modine, the other is a walker. Both work fine.

A radiator shop can recore your old radiator but it normally costs more than the repro radiator.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There are a couple of advantages with a local recoring. One, they can save the top and bottom of your existing radiator, and save any factory stamp codes. Even if that doesn't matter they can usually do it in a day.

My recore wasn't much more, maybe even cheaper than a new one. Another thing to consider is fin surface area, not necessarily the number of rows. If you don't have a fan shroud you'll need one with any FE. Good repops are available too.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hey Tim - what the heck does "FE" stand for? I know, I know...I'm hoping nobody sees the Q *LOL* - I don't have one, so I don't know...

but, I DO have a fan from one! *LOL*

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
FE = Ford Edsel. It was a motor class developed for Edsel Ford's Ford Edsels. Most commonly 360, 390, 427, 428 although there were others. I think 352 was in there? 332, 406, 410, Help me out guys.....

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Oh, I thought for sure it was something like "Friggin Earthshaking" or something along those lines...*sigh*

·
Registered
151 Posts
MustangsUnlimited.com has a good variety if you are looking online for someplace, even other parts as well. They have shrouds also. When I get mine replaced, (hopefully soon), I will probably go through them. I just like the convienance of having what I need at one place. I have placed a couple of orders with them and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I got mine at 1-888-Radiator. Beat MU by $100, free next day delivery - brand new. They are listed in the vendors section. Or I could be a nice guy and post it here I guess. 1-800-228-8068.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just compared pricing for a 4 row from 1800 Radiator and MustangsUnlimited. MU was cheaper by about $40, but I called them to find out thier warranty coverage...zip. They said the manufacturer doesn't offer one, niether do they, just a 3 day satisfaction. Guess it will be 1800 for me when that time comes.

Outlaw -
I said $40 cheaper, but heres the prices: 4 row with 1 yr warr. is $229
4 row with lifetime warr. is $249
Not sure if these were aftermarket or OEM. I got pricing from a live webpage thing, I asked the guy if it was OEM or AM, but he must have went on to someone else.

Rktmn -
How long have you had yours? Any problems?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You Do have a shroud on it ??... Right? just checking...

Don

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
xr7ron: I bought mine in summer 2001, not many miles on it though - I tore the car completely apart that fall. I bought the OEM replacement 3 core. Tough to beat a lifetime warranty and free next day shipping.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Outlaw,
before you go buying a new radiator, check your cooling system. It might pay to flush your system, change your thermostat, and then add good coolant. Checking out the water pump might be a good idea too.
You also might consider moving the cooling lines for the tranny to an independant cooler, if you haven't already.:)
Just some thoughts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Howe aluminum radiator in my 67 GT that has worked great and wasn't too expensive......about $350 with a nice mounting kit and shroud.
www.critesrestoration.com
.....just an alternative for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts